Harassment from Indian Consulate/CKGS -- OCI Application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harassment from Indian Consulate/CKGS -- OCI Application

Background: My name as per my Indian passport is "Rakesh Atul Shah", where Rakesh is the first name, Atul is the middle name and Shah is the last name/surname. Even on my wife's Indian passport, the spouse's name is listed as "Rakesh Atul Shah". However, when I got my US citizenship, I used just "Rakesh Shah" as the name, dropping the middle name.

1st Application: Earlier this month (Oct 5, 2017), I applied for OCI for my wife. The application was thru CKGS for SFO Consulate. In the government application, I stated the spouse's name as "Rakesh Shah", the current name as per US passport. My application got rejected, stating that the name should be as per Indian passport of my wife, ie, "Rakesh Atul Shah". I pleaded to CKGS rep to allow me to send my US passport or any other document they need, and not return my whole application. But to no avail. I attempted to escalate the request to a supervisor, but the supervisor was unhelpful as well. Once the decision is taken by Consulate, CKGS is pretty useless. CKGS told that I need to have a notarized affidavit stating that the names are same and a US passport copy. The whole application was rejected (Oct 18th) and I asked to apply for refund. I had paid $351.90 and its over 2 weeks and I haven't yet received a refund.

2nd Application: So I applied again (Oct 25th, 2017), making a new payment of $351.90. Everything remains same on the OCI application for my wife. The only thing changed is the spouse's name as "Rakesh Atul Shah", as per the request. This time I included a copy of my Indian passport, my US Passport and a notarized affidavit stating that both the names "Rakesh Shah" and "Rakesh Atul Shah" are same person. Result: REJECTED AGAIN (1st Nov). Reason: The name in government application should be as per US passport "Rakesh Shah". I inquire with CKGS and they esclate to consulate, and the response from consulate is: "Since last time you did not submit the US passport copy, we evaluated the application based on name in Indian passport". I pleaded that this is borderline harassment and explained all the things that I had been asked to do as per CKGS. The CKGS staff agreed that I have done everything possible, but they cannot help. Like last time, they prove useless. This time also I esclated for a supervisor response, but I think they are embarrassed that the supervisor has not yet called. I have to again apply for refund.

To me this is ridiculous from many points:
    1. The second application had all the possible documents for you to match the names -- Indian passport, US passport and affidavit. If you wanted to co-operate, then you would have found a way to help.
    2. The name is question is spouse's name and not the name of the applicant.

I consider this to be harassment from Indian authorities. First of all, their website applicaiton wizard is very difficult and has no clarity on what to fill out. You are suppose to call the CKGS for any query on how to fill up the forms when there is slight deviation from the standard, which is always half hour wait plus half hour to get your query resolved. Even after doing that, when you follow the instructions, one can be tossed from one point to another, as I was above. This a huge waste of time, money and resources on all ends. I am frustrated to the point that I don't care about getting OCI. More than myself, I now feel the pain for innumerable people would have to go thru this kind of experience from our consulate.

I wonder if our Indian authorities will ever change to empathize with the customer? Is customer service ever going to be something that they strive for or it just mythical/alien to them? I admire our Prime Minister on the change he is attempting, but when PM Modi says that ease of doing business is improved with government and the OCI application is being simplified for NRIs, this should be a shining example that both are NOT true. Any pointers on how I can get this case to his notice so there is some action?

Note: Real names are changed to protect identity.

Same issue

I had a very similar issue when I applied for OCI and 5 yr visitor visa for family through Travisa, it was rejected several times by Travisa saying the photo was not OK, application middle name was different etc. When I talked to the Travisa lady she told me its best to apply for visitor e-visa as that process is much more simple. The Indian consulate has direct orders from Delhi to reject OCI or any long term visa for even the slightest mistake, this has nothing to do with harassment or customer service. The whole e-visa process took less than 15 minutes, but the visa is valid only for two entries.

Comment

Originally posted by kewlvanio View Post
      Background: My name as per my Indian passport is "Rakesh Atul Shah", where Rakesh is the first name, Atul is the middle name and Shah is the last name/surname. Even on my wife's Indian passport, the spouse's name is listed as "Rakesh Atul Shah". However, when I got my US citizenship, I used just "Rakesh Shah" as the name, dropping the middle name.

1st Application: Earlier this month (Oct 5, 2017), I applied for OCI for my wife. The application was thru CKGS for SFO Consulate. In the government application, I stated the spouse's name as "Rakesh Shah", the current name as per US passport. My application got rejected, stating that the name should be as per Indian passport of my wife, ie, "Rakesh Atul Shah". I pleaded to CKGS rep to allow me to send my US passport or any other document they need, and not return my whole application. But to no avail. I attempted to escalate the request to a supervisor, but the supervisor was unhelpful as well. Once the decision is taken by Consulate, CKGS is pretty useless. CKGS told that I need to have a notarized affidavit stating that the names are same and a US passport copy. The whole application was rejected (Oct 18th) and I asked to apply for refund. I had paid $351.90 and its over 2 weeks and I haven't yet received a refund.

2nd Application: So I applied again (Oct 25th, 2017), making a new payment of $351.90. Everything remains same on the OCI application for my wife. The only thing changed is the spouse's name as "Rakesh Atul Shah", as per the request. This time I included a copy of my Indian passport, my US Passport and a notarized affidavit stating that both the names "Rakesh Shah" and "Rakesh Atul Shah" are same person. Result: REJECTED AGAIN (1st Nov). Reason: The name in government application should be as per US passport "Rakesh Shah". I inquire with CKGS and they esclate to consulate, and the response from consulate is: "Since last time you did not submit the US passport copy, we evaluated the application based on name in Indian passport". I pleaded that this is borderline harassment and explained all the things that I had been asked to do as per CKGS. The CKGS staff agreed that I have done everything possible, but they cannot help. Like last time, they prove useless. This time also I esclated for a supervisor response, but I think they are embarrassed that the supervisor has not yet called. I have to again apply for refund.

To me this is ridiculous from many points:
      1. The second application had all the possible documents for you to match the names -- Indian passport, US passport and affidavit. If you wanted to co-operate, then you would have found a way to help.
      2. The name is question is spouse's name and not the name of the applicant.

I consider this to be harassment from Indian authorities. First of all, their website applicaiton wizard is very difficult and has no clarity on what to fill out. You are suppose to call the CKGS for any query on how to fill up the forms when there is slight deviation from the standard, which is always half hour wait plus half hour to get your query resolved. Even after doing that, when you follow the instructions, one can be tossed from one point to another, as I was above. This a huge waste of time, money and resources on all ends. I am frustrated to the point that I don't care about getting OCI. More than myself, I now feel the pain for innumerable people would have to go thru this kind of experience from our consulate.

I wonder if our Indian authorities will ever change to empathize with the customer? Is customer service ever going to be something that they strive for or it just mythical/alien to them? I admire our Prime Minister on the change he is attempting, but when PM Modi says that ease of doing business is improved with government and the OCI application is being simplified for NRIs, this should be a shining example that both are NOT true. Any pointers on how I can get this case to his notice so there is some action?

Note: Real names are changed to protect identity.

How did you resolve this. Im sending mine in a few hours. And im a little paranoid that they will reject my application since im applying for my wife and I added place of birth as jodhpur. But im seeing some place where they are saying you have to add India instead of the city..So am i supposed to add both country and place of birth as India.. I just dont know what to do either...

This whole process is so nerve wracking. I wish they knew how to make a simpler interface..For all the talk about us Indians beng good codes, the website is so cryptic ans almost a puzzle that has to be solved..Similarly i had to redo a visa once a year earlier where i never got a refund either..inspite of calling them numerous times.. I do think the concept of customer service is lost on Indian mentality..

Comment

Same issue with OCI - Middle name missing in one doc

Hi,

I have the exact same issue. They rejected my application as my wife's middle name is missing in one of the document. Please let me know how you resolved it.

Thanks in advance

Comment

PIO to OCI conversion application rejected for a small issue

Same issue here friends.

My son's PIO to OCI conversion application was "rejected and returned" because Father's name in the application does not match with Passport or PIO(strange, but my First and Last name is what I mentioned in the application, suspecting it to be the missing middle name).

They should not be returning the entire package for such a minor miss, it is SOOO hard to put it together.

Planning to speak to CKGS tomorrow. If you have any tips on how to resolve this please advise.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by reachman View Post
            Same issue here friends.

My son's PIO to OCI conversion application was "rejected and returned" because Father's name in the application does not match with Passport or PIO(strange, but my First and Last name is what I mentioned in the application, suspecting it to be the missing middle name).

They should not be returning the entire package for such a minor miss, it is SOOO hard to put it together.

Planning to speak to CKGS tomorrow. If you have any tips on how to resolve this please advise.

Thanks.

Hi,

Do you have any updates on this? My wife's application was also rejected on the same reason. Need to talk to them

Comment

Wife's visa rejected on name change

Originally posted by reachman View Post
              Same issue here friends.

Thanks.
              My wife changed her last name to my last name and she was rejected because her birth certificate did not match the last name. How could it match?
              Need to talk to CKGS and tweeted asking for help from Sushma Swaraj. Just in case :-)

Comment

h
                hello everyone
                my OCI application just got rejected 2nd time they are not holding the application there & sending everything back this is ridiculous if we can correct something on website online why would you return it that also twice, plus they also are returning my wife's application too just so confusing the website questions & there is no help from CKGS too IN SFO, i have paid twice for Me & once for my wife $352 & they only return $ 273 + $15 for extra Mail this is waste of our money for no reasons or something which can be fixed by phone calls & Online OCI Or CKGS website, Don't know what to do next after i receive my application & Money back I need to be going to India in September & my Visa's has expired so thought to apply OCI this time & i'm going thru so many issues with this application form & wife also ? anyone suggest what to do or just try apply for now 10 year Visa only I'm 60 yrs.

Comment

Hi everyone, I am on the same boat. My application for my daughter's oci was rejected by CKGS and they said they have returned the documents. However I do not see a return label generated to ship the documents from ckgs to me. Can y'all please help me in knowing whether y'all received the documents immediately or within how many days? Also did you receive any notification from ckgs about the document dispatch? Since the ckgs call center is not working at this time and they do not seem to be responding to emails, I am having a hard time in getting an update.
                  I have paid using Money order and the rejection email did mention that I would get the refund in 10 days but I am not sure if the refund check and documents will be mailed together or separately (there was not any mention about that in the rejection email).

Comment

Originally posted by shriman View Post
                    Hi everyone, I am on the same boat. My application for my daughter's oci was rejected by CKGS and they said they have returned the documents. However I do not see a return label generated to ship the documents from ckgs to me. Can y'all please help me in knowing whether y'all received the documents immediately or within how many days? Also did you receive any notification from ckgs about the document dispatch? Since the ckgs call center is not working at this time and they do not seem to be responding to emails, I am having a hard time in getting an update.
                    I have paid using Money order and the rejection email did mention that I would get the refund in 10 days but I am not sure if the refund check and documents will be mailed together or separately (there was not any mention about that in the rejection email).
                    Hi Sriman...can you please let me know when you got your passport and how did you tracked it?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X