No announcement yet.

esta approved but now found out had second passport when a child - what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• esta approved but now found out had second passport when a child - what to do

Hi -
    I am an Australian citizen with a Malaysian father and Australian mother. I was born in Malaysia. Malaysia does not recognize dual citizenship and my mother didn't think I had had a Malaysian passport when younger so I answered NO to all the dual citizenship questions on the Esta. I am travelling to the US for a conference in a few days and my mother when cleaning out some old paperwork found a receipt for an Australian Resident Return Visa that she had applied for me to insert in a Malaysian passport when I moved to Australia 25 years ago. (The resident return visa was apparently given to Australian citizens returning from abroad on a foreign passport).

So now I am freaking out - I obviously had this Malaysian passport when I was a teenager but had no recollection of it. I have only ever been aware of having an Australian passport. What should I do in regards to the Esta. I am worried that if I reapply for the Esta, it might get denied, not because of the actual information I will add but because of the mere fact that I changed this information. I am flying out in a few days so have no time to get a tourist visa if this is the case.

Is there any chance that at US security screening that they will be able to find out that I had this Malaysian passport 25 plus years ago? This would have been a nonbiometric passport.

I am thinking of waiting until I get back from this trip to reapply for the Esta so that if it does get denied then I have time to get a US visa if I need to travel there again. But I also don't want to risk having the fact of this old passport coming up on their system so I have no idea what to do.

Hoping someone has enough knowledge of this to help calm me down!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X