N600/Consular report of birth abroad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N600/Consular report of birth abroad

Hi everyone,I'm in desperate need of advice and guidance as all doors have been shut in our faces!

I'm a Green Card holder and my husband is a U.S. Citizen by birth and we had our first son in January of 2017 in Amsterdam,shortly after we filed for a Consular report of birth abroad and to make a long story short the consulate denied it due to lack of the "5 years residency requirement" even tho my husband has tax returns for over 8 years as well as Social security proof of how long he paid in to it and on top of that a Employer letter and pay stubs proving that he has lived in the states well over 8 years! the consulate wouldn't even guide us as to how we could fly back to the states with our son not having any U.S document ( the only thing he had at that time was a Dutch passport and a birth certificate).Not knowing what to do next my husband and i headed to the airport and spoke with Dutch airlines regarding our situation,they did call CBP in the Netherlands which i never knew they had one and explained the situation and they reported back saying that as far as they're concerned the child is clear to board the plane,when arrived at Atlanta international airport we were pulled into CBP office and regarding our child status,we were told that he is a U.S. citizen and should file N600 based on his father being a U.S citizen and as a matter of fact we told CBP the ordeal we had with the consulate about the 5 year requirement and they pulled up my husband dates of entering and leaving the country since his birth and they even said that he has way more than 5 years of residency therefore they told us we should take the N600 route which we did,we hired a lawyer who tried to communicate with the U.S. consulate in Amsterdam and provided them with a bunch of residency evidence he even sent them my husband preschool documents but that didn't help at all, the U.S. consulate came back saying that there is nothing they can do now with the child being back in the States!!!
    After that our Lawyer filed N600 and they sent us a letter that we need to send USCIS a copy of Consular report of birth abroad.If we had the Consular report we wouldn't even be needing to file a N600 we could just go straight to post office and get our child his passport!

I'm really hoping i didn't confuse anyone and i'm really hoping to hear from people with a similar case or people with past experience. I Thank you all so much and wish you a happy Holiday season.

Originally posted by Sarah12 View Post
    the U.S. consulate came back saying that there is nothing they can do now with the child being back in the States!!!
    That is true. You can only apply for a CRBA in that co

After that our Lawyer filed N600 and they sent us a letter that we need to send USCIS a copy of Consular report of birth abroad.
    That doesn't make sense. Just respond saying the child is a US citizen and doesn't have a CRBA. You don't need a CRBA to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. But why are you spending money and time to apply for a Certificate of Citizenship when it's much cheaper and faster to just apply for a US passport?

If we had the Consular report we wouldn't even be needing to file a N600 we could just go straight to post office and get our child his passport!
    You CAN apply for a US passport for your child, right now. You don't need a CRBA or a Certificate of Citizenship. Just the evidence of citizenship that you are already providing with those applications is sufficient to apply for a US passport.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

[QUOTE=newacct;534842

You CAN apply for a US passport for your child, right now. You don't need a CRBA or a Certificate of Citizenship. Just the evidence of citizenship that you are already providing with those applications is sufficient to apply for a US passport.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your reply, actually my husband thought about going to a U.S. Passport center and explain the situation but then we looked up the documents needed when filing for the passport and found out that one of them is a U.S Birth Certificate which our son doesn't have since he was born in Amsterdam. Also another thing that worries us is CBP didn't stamp our son's passport, hope it won't cause any issues down the road.
      Thank you so much for your help and advice.

Comment

we looked up the documents needed when filing for the passport and found out that one of them is a U.S Birth Certificate which our son doesn't have since he was born in Amsterdam.
        No. What you have is enough to apply for a passport. Read the passport application (DS-11) closely:

APPLICANTS BORN OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES:
        [...]
        - If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to at least one U.S. citizen parent: Submit a Consular Report of Birth (Form FS-240), Certification of Birth (Form DS-1350 or FS-545), or your foreign birth certificate (and official translation if the document is not in English), proof of U.S. citizenship of your parent, your parents' marriage certificate, and an affidavit showing all of your U.S. citizen parents' periods and places of residence/physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth.
        (I bolded the relevant part.)

Comment

Thank you so much for your reply, actually my husband thought about going to a U.S. Passport center and explain the situation but then we looked up the documents needed when filing for the passport and found out that one of them is a U.S Birth Certificate which our son doesn't have since he was born in Amsterdam. Also another thing that worries us is CBP didn't stamp our son's passport, hope it won't cause any issues down the road.
          Thank you so much for your help and advice.
          Hi Sarah, please I need your help in this too! My child was born in the Netherlands, but CRBA was denied because I became a US Citizen one week after the birth of my daughter. I am not really sure what to do, based on your experience, should I just apply for the passport thru the US (DS-11)? Or Is there no way to transfer her citizenship?

If we can get in touch please that would be greatly appreciated.

I can give you my phone or email. I am extremely stressed about this.

Comment

Originally posted by venezuelanboy89 View Post
            Hi Sarah, please I need your help in this too! My child was born in the Netherlands, but CRBA was denied because I became a US Citizen one week after the birth of my daughter. I am not really sure what to do, based on your experience, should I just apply for the passport thru the US (DS-11)? Or Is there no way to transfer her citizenship?

If we can get in touch please that would be greatly appreciated.

I can give you my phone or email. I am extremely stressed about this.

Hi Venezuelanboy, im so sorry i just read this message, ive been extremely busy so i didnt get the chance to visit this forum. I hope at this time u got ur problem solved, if not and you want to talk about it or ask any questions about our case, let me know. You can also send me your email/phonenumber if you want. Do you speak dutch or only english?

Comment

Hi Venezuelanboy, im so sorry i just read this message, ive been extremely busy so i didnt get the chance to visit this forum. I hope at this time u got ur problem solved, if not and you want to talk about it or ask any questions about our case, let me know. You can also send me your email/phonenumber if you want. Do you speak dutch or only english?

hi sarah
              i have my interview for my baby girl on the embasse on the 26th this month
              but im stuck in the 5 year presence which i dont have a lot of documents
              and im almost sure they will denied!
              im a us citizen
              but my wife is not !
              she has her interview on the embassy in brazil next month!]
              im really worried about my baby not getting her citizenship
              im allready trying to plan ahead, what to do

if it doenst work out!

i tried to call CBP but couldnt get a hold of them!

please help me on what you did to get back in the US with the baby!

Comment

Originally posted by lucasvieira View Post
                hi sarah
                i have my interview for my baby girl on the embasse on the 26th this month
                but im stuck in the 5 year presence which i dont have a lot of documents
                and im almost sure they will denied!
                im a us citizen
                but my wife is not !
                she has her interview on the embassy in brazil next month!]
                im really worried about my baby not getting her citizenship
                im allready trying to plan ahead, what to do

if it doenst work out!

i tried to call CBP but couldnt get a hold of them!

please help me on what you did to get back in the US with the baby!
                Well if you can't prove your daughter's citizenship, the alternative is to petition her to immigrate (just like you petitioned your wife).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X