L-2 renewal necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-2 renewal necessary?

Hi - I need opinions if I should renew my L-2 visa or not. My spouse is on L-1, the visa is valid until 2020 but the I129 blanket document is expiring soon. My spouse needs to renew the visa for sure.
    I came to the US 2 years after my spouse and my visa page in passport is valid until 2022. Once my spouse renews the L-1 do I also need to renew my L-2? Or as long as my spouse has the new I129 and L-1 visa, and my visa is still valid until 2022 I have nothing to do?

Thank you!

Originally posted by snailteaser View Post
    Hi - I need opinions if I should renew my L-2 visa or not. My spouse is on L-1, the visa is valid until 2020 but the I129 blanket document is expiring soon. My spouse needs to renew the visa for sure.
    I came to the US 2 years after my spouse and my visa page in passport is valid until 2022. Once my spouse renews the L-1 do I also need to renew my L-2? Or as long as my spouse has the new I129 and L-1 visa, and my visa is still valid until 2022 I have nothing to do?

Thank you!
    Visa validity has no meaning once you enter the country. Check your I-94 and see when it expires and take action accordingly. Also, as per my understanding, your L2 needs to be linked to the current L1 visa of spouse to be valid for entering the country. It may not matter as long as you stay in the country and has a valid I-94. But if you visit abroad and come back, you may need a new visa stamped as the immigration officer may not accept a visa linked to an expired petition.

Comment

So I checked my I-94 and it says admit until 2020. Does this mean I make trips abroad and come back anytime within that time frame? Even if my spouse changes his L-1 visa in the meantime? I wonder about this visa thing if it's linked somehow.

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X