Visa Stamped Date Vs I94 Issued End date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa Stamped Date Vs I94 Issued End date

I have got my L1A stamped till Aug 2021, but my I94 was issued only till April 2019, when I entered US in Oct 2016.

So when I have to apply extension, will it be a I94 extension or Visa extension.

Please advise.

Originally posted by aspiremgr View Post
    I have got my L1A stamped till Aug 2021, but my I94 was issued only till April 2019, when I entered US in Oct 2016.

So when I have to apply extension, will it be a I94 extension or Visa extension.

Please advise.
    Visas are only for entry. If you need to enter after the current visa's expiration, you will apply for a new visa. There is no "visa extension". If you don't need to leave the US and re-enter, you don't need a visa. You can only get a visa at a US consulate outside the US, because, if you are in the US, you don't need to "enter".

I-94 is for your status, which governs your stay. If you need to stay past the current I-94's expiration, your company needs to apply for extension of status for you. When extension of status is approved, you will be given a new I-94. Note that status only exists when you are in the US. If you leave the US, you cease to have status, and the I-94 ends. When you re-enter with a visa, you will be admitted with a new I-94.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Please advise.
      Usually there is no need for extending I94 if its validity is less than that of visa. If you leave the country at least once before your I-94 expiry, when you re-enter your will get a new I94, with possibly a new expiry date. If you will not leave the country until April 2019, then you may want to consider getting an extension of status 6 months before its expiry.

Comment

Please advise.
        Seems the question does not provide complete information. I guess your i94 is till Apr19, because your petition is ending by that time. If yes, then before Apr19 you'll need to renew/extend your petition to continue stay/work in US, which will automatically give you a new i94.
        - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X