Proof of Financial Support and Joint Sponsor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof of Financial Support and Joint Sponsor

I am not employed and have no financial records / employment history. I have someone who can be the sponsor who has all the documentation necessary to prove my wife will be supported. Since she's covered then the government should have no problem right?

Is this for K-1 visa or for Adjustment of Status? For K-1 visa it's the I-134 affidavit of support which is not legally binding. Therefore, some consulates do not accept, or do not look well upon, "co-sponsor" I-134s.

For Adjustment of Status it's the I-864 binding Affidavit of Support; if there is a joint sponsor who also fills out an I-864 and whose household income is sufficient, then there should be no problems.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

My wife and I married outside the US a year and a half ago, I would be filling a I-130 and upon initial receipt start the K3 visa to get her here sooner.

- - - Updated - - -

Which I see is the I864 so should be good.

Comment

This site says I864 for K3, CitizenPath says I134. CP also says K3s aren't even commonly issued. So might have to figure out getting some of my own documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightstrider View Post
          My wife and I married outside the US a year and a half ago, I would be filling a I-130 and upon initial receipt start the K3 visa to get her here sooner.

- - - Updated - - -

Which I see is the I864 so should be good.
          K-3 is obsolete. She will not get a K-3. She will directly get an immigrant visa.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X