Need Help - Lost Green Card, Expired UK Passport, Recently Moved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help - Lost Green Card, Expired UK Passport, Recently Moved

So... I've got myself into quite a pickle here. I'm a permanent resident of the US. A citizen of Great Britain. Longtime Californian. Relocated to Florida a couple of months ago for a new job. I decided to hold off on buying a car until January, so I've been renting a car my first couple of months here in Florida, using my California driver's license.

Sometime in the past week, my green card fell out of my wallet. I've searched every possible location and it's gone. I need to get it replaced. I've read that a replacement can take as much as 10 months to be processed.

I've also read about how one can get a temporary interim solution with a stamp in one's passport, confirming one's permanent residency. The problem with that? My British passport is also missing. I haven't traveled internationally in nearly 5 years.

So, to recap. I'm a British citizen, US permanent resident, former California resident, recently relocated to Florida and I no longer have my green card or my British passport and I have not yet secured a Florida Driver's License.

What do you think I need to do first? Get a replacement British passport? Apply for a replacement green card? I can't buy and then register a car in Florida without a Florida driver's license and I can't get a Florida driver's license without a green card. And a green card could take as much as 10 months to replace and I can't get a temporary permanent resident stamp in my passport, because my passport is missing.

I told you I got myself in a pickle.

1. Get replacement passport.
    2. Apply for I-90.
    3. Once you have I-797 notice of action, book infopass appointment.
    4. Get I-551 stamp
    5. Go to DMV to apply for your drivers license.

Comment

It's possible to get an I-551 stamp without a passport. You bring in two passport photos and they put the stamp on a sheet of paper (I think an I-94) with the photos on it.

But people usually put it on a passport, so get a passport if it's not too much trouble (it's nice to have one anyway in case you need to travel abroad). People might accept an I-551 stamp on a passport more than a standalone I-551 stamp which is uncommon.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X