Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can citizenship be applied from overseas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can citizenship be applied from overseas?

My dad who has a green card has been going to and fro every year from the past 5 years to spend time in the USA. This time he hasn't been feeling well enough to travel so I was wondering if he could apply for his citizenship from overseas. Is this possible at all? And if he is well enough to travel, how long does the process take from on shore?
    Last edited by kramvi; 12-08-2017, 06:04 AM.

1. Are you sure he has satisfied the minimum residency requirement (no less than half of the time in the past 5 years spent OUTSIDE of the USA) ? and that he has not broken his continuous residency requirement ?

2. Naturalization needs to be applied in the USA, and i believe there is a requirement even after filing, that you cannot be out of the USA that can break your continuous residency requirement (more than 6 months) - this is true until the Oath ceremony.

Comment

USCIS office

Naturalization can be applied outside of the US but only to people in military service and residing near to an USCIS international office otherwise you have to be in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by gar21233 View Post
        Naturalization can be applied outside of the US but only to people in military service and residing near to an USCIS international office otherwise you have to be in the US.
        What about non military people? Can they still apply at a USCIS international office? Is there one in Canada or Mexico? The reason is that if there is one, I can accompany my father and help him with the filing. What's the process?

Comment

USCIS Mexico

As I said you only can apply overseas if you are a member of US. Military, check here https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-...y-field-office, in the n=400 dropdown, it clearly says "

Who May File or Receive Service:

Members of the U.S. military stationed overseas and their qualified spouse who reside in USCIS Mexico City’s jurisdiction.

" and is pretty much the same for Canada, so if you want to file and you are not a member of the Us. Military or spouse you must apply within the US.

Comment

Conclusion: YOU MUST APPLY FROM WITHIN THE USA. No other exceptions.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X