Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let go from J1 Internship - Options to stay here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let go from J1 Internship - Options to stay here?

Hi guys,

Could really use some advice right now!

On Friday I was informed that my J1 internship was coming to an end - 9 months before I was originally told. I've only been here for 3 months. I'm employed technically until Dec 21st, at which point I'm meant to leave immediately. So I have two weeks to sort this.

I really would like to stay in the US, at least for another few months. I have a boyfriend here and he can't immediately uproot and move back to the UK with me.

My J1 appears to have the two year rule applied. When I was applying, I disclosed that I had 'government financing' as I wasn't sure what this meant. The money I listed was student finance, not money directly intended for this trip. Further research that I've done suggests that the fact this money was general purpose means that the two year rule probably shouldn't have been applied? "Government grants that do not specify that the funding is for international exchange do not subject the participant to HRR"

What optins do I have? Could I possibly get the HRR lifted? Or could I come back on a B1 visitor visa for several months and work things out?

Would appreciate any pointers or advice!

Thanks

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X