Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restraining order and divorce before I751 and employment

Long story short.

I met with my wife more than 5 years ago and got married one and a half year ago. I did not get along with her parents since the very beginning because of something illegal they did and I strongly disagreed and talked my wife out of it, so our marriage was never supported by them, with only support from my family.

The life after we got married did not go well as I thought. Besides the verbal and physical attacks my wife constantly did on me, which I have been enduring all the time since I loved her, I found her cheating on me merely after 2.5 months and went to Chicago on her birthday and slept with another man in the same hotel room, paid the room with money I gave her. She said it was her "uncle", however, he was only one year older than me and they have no blood relation or legal relation of any sort. It was like the nickname of that man is "uncle". I forgave her anyway, since I really wanted a home with her.

Later in Nov 2016, I found her talking with a phone for suspiciously long time in the middle of the night, she claimed it was just some girl talk and I called back one night, it was a man picking up the phone call. In late Nov 2016, or early Dec 2016, I accidentally found her exchanging sexting with a different man. I was unhappy and had an argument with her. She called police and falsely claim that a man, that was me, attacked her. She later called me and said sorry to me, I forgave her anyway.

In Nov 2017, I found her constantly slept over at one place when I was absent from city. I collected some evidence before I confronted her, and she admitted it was a man who she met in China during her visit to my family and asked him to visit US for some time, and slept with him. I really crashed this time.

For the past few years, she was short of temper and constantly insulted and verbally attacked me, even in front of her friends, and physically attacked me, used scissors and bare hands to tear my clothes into pieces while it was still on me to humiliate me, sped up car intentionally when I was about to get out of it. That incident almost killed me one year ago. She also constantly scared me that I would be arrested and I would be deported, and no one would believe she did these violence to me while she was a girl while I was a man, she can just cry in front of police to get protection. She also constantly threatened to arrest me and deport me if I resisted.

You may wonder why I never called police. Well, she, as my wife, was the only family I had here, and I valued her and her sacrifice, I endured her and forgave her everything to keep everything together. As a man of 30, I moved around in a lot of places, subleasing houses to be close to her, to try so hard to settle down with her, I really wanted a peaceful home. If I called police and had her arrested or questioned, I would have no one to rely on. For the past few year she did not want me to learn to drive and said she can take me to anywhere I wanted. I thought it was romantic but till now, I realized that she was to limit me.

Later she set me up by calling me via FaceTime audio and threatened to harm and kill my parents in China. I was in extreme panic and I called her tens of times but she did not pick up. She filed a restraining order against me with such excuses and other false excuses just to ruin my close to success job hunting. Because of these, I have to stop most of my job seeking process and hide in a place, living in fear.

I do not have a lot of photo evidence of her abuse and violence on me, however, I did have saved most of our conversations since the first time I met with her, and we had discussion over messages about those dangerous incidents and violence she did on me. She always pretended she was the victim while I am the real victim of her domestic violence.

I have been living in fear. I have nothing now, no insurance, no money, no car, no driver's license, no friend, even no place to live soon, and I do not even have the courage to go to court to look at those restraining order and divorce petition.

She was the sponsor of my current conditional green card, will I be finally deported after the divorce with such restraining order as she often threatened? Can I even pass the background check for I751 now?

Thank you.

There are organizations that help people suffering from domestic violence. Look for one in your area.

You should file for divorce and then, when the divorce is final or when you reach the 90-day period before your 2-year card expires, whichever is earlier, file I-751 by yourself, selecting the two reasons of divorce and abuse (you can select multiple reasons when filing by yourself). Collect as much evidence of genuine marriage from the period of marriage as you can.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      There are organizations that help people suffering from domestic violence. Look for one in your area.

You should file for divorce and then, when the divorce is final or when you reach the 90-day period before your 2-year card expires, whichever is earlier, file I-751 by yourself, selecting the two reasons of divorce and abuse (you can select multiple reasons when filing by yourself). Collect as much evidence of genuine marriage from the period of marriage as you can.
      So you recommended me that I should file I751 sooner than later (immediately after I got divorce decree in my case) while my memory is still fresh?

Thank you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X