Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemistry PhD, Visa renewal via dropbox, 221(g), administrative processing

Hello!

I am a 5th year PhD student in Department of Chemistry at University at Buffalo. I was visiting India this December for a month and thought about getting my VISA renewed as my VISA was expiring in June 2018. I am a fully funded research assistant (research dealing with solar cells), continuing my education at the same institute and do not have any relatives in USA; therefore, I thought the chances of 221(g) would be fairly low. However, after dropping in my passport and visa application at VFS, New Delhi, I found out the next day that my passport is ready for pick up. My passport had a white paper saying I got 221(g) and I need to be present at the embassy for an interview and fingerprints. I went to the embassy the next day, had my interview and was asked to email more documents with a waiting period of around 3-4 weeks or more for final decision on my VISA. For people interested visa interview went as followed:

VO: So, where are you going to study?
    Me: I will be continuing my PhD studies at SUNY-Buffalo in the Department of Chemistry.

VO: What is your research about?
    Me: Told.

VO: Who is your advisor?
    Me: Told.

VO: So how long do you think it would take to be done with your PhD?
    Me: Somewhat around 1 year to 1.5 year.

VO: Have you started writing your thesis?
    Me: Not yet. Two of my publications are under review and I am on the verge of finishing my final project. Once, that is done, I will start writing my thesis.

VO: Ok! Please go to window no. XX and you will be asked a few more questions.
    Me: Ok!

The lady at the next window gave me two forms asking me to submit my CV, offer letters, publications, description of research, international travel history for past 15 years, work experience for last 15 years, my advisor's CV to an email id. She also told me not to book a ticket back (which I already did!) as this would take atleast 3-4 weeks or more for the whole process. I have been waiting one week now with no correspondence.

If someone has gone through somewhat similar, I would really appreciate their feedback and it would be nice to know what to expect. Thank you!

- Saurabh Chauhan

Same situation(2nd yr Ph.D.) here was asked to submit CV and research details. The interview was on 11th Dec., status has not changed so far.

Comment

Any updates?

Hey - any updates? I'm in a similar-ish situation. 4th year PhD, was in a Masters program before that. Social science major though. I changed universities between my Masters and PhD, so didn't qualify for dropbox renewal. Went for the consular interview on 26th December, the counsellor approved my visa but my ceac update reads 'administrative processing' ever since. I had to postpone my tickets of course, and now I'm a little nervous. Did it work out for you guys eventually?
      Thanks!

Comment

PhD renewal

Did you get ur visa approved?

And what documents should we make ready for renewal process because I?m also going to attend visa renewal for Phd?

Need ur words
        Thanksg

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X