Insurance for US citizen visiting USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for US citizen visiting USA

hello, i am looking to purchase health insurance for my son who is presently living in the USA (since Aug 2016). he is a US citizen living in New York City. he was taking some classes as a student but is now looking for work or an internship. i found the "Diplomat America" insurance product mentioned on your page ( https://www.insubuy.com/travel-insur...-visiting-usa/ ) i wondered if this policy would be available for his purchase? the term of the policy would be from April 21 to July 7, 2017, and then starting again (if a renewal is possible) from Sept 2017. during his time out of the country he will be in japan. He has a travel insurance policy purchased from Japan but it will expire and cannot be renewed as he is no longer a student. i found your page and wanted to inquire about this policy. if there are other policies you provide, please tell me. thank you,

Hello, thank you very much for the reply.

We purchased "Travel and accident insurance" for my son through JI Accident and Fire Insurance Co, Ltd, (http://www.jihoken.co.jp/english/) here in Japan - "JI Accident & Fire Insurance Co. Ltd., are the travel insurance company which is jointly owned by JTB and AIG." the coverage was for 8 months of insurance because he was considered a student at the time. the insurance was purchased in Japan prior to departure under his Japanese passport. This policy cannot be renewed because he is no longer a student, and his current status in the USA is not dependent upon a visa, because he is a US citizen, and entered the USA as a returning/traveling US citizen.

I guess we can consider my son's "home country" as Japan as he has not yet established permanent state residency there in NY. his plans are rather fluid at this time. as he intends to return to the USA in Sept. 2017 he wanted to look for work. i am supporting him until he finds work. a renewal or new policy term from September should at least cover 3-6 months (a policy with an option for multi-renewal would be best, but i understand that may not be possible). i was looking for a comprehensive type of plan, but learning about any of the plans which my son may be eligible for would be helpful. If it is easier to find a short-term plan for coverage (April 21 to July 7) then follow through with a different plan for his return to the USA in Sept 2017, that would also be ok.

If you do have such a plan, I would instruct my son to do the online purchase, using his USA bank issued credit card. if that is a problem, could i make the purchase with my own USA based bank or credit card? i do maintain a USPS officially registered mailing address for all of my family members in the state of Michigan, my son presently does not have a state issued ID, but is trying to obtain a NY state drivers license.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Comment

hello, thank you for the reply and information about the "Diplomat America" plan.

my son is currently living in NYC, NY, so primarily he would need coverage there in new york. will this be ok? is there so much difference "state to state" in the USA, where coverage would only apply to a specific state?

prior to sending a note, i tried to sign up for this policy but there was some problem. i am not sure what it was related to.

i will try again, thank you for your help.

Comment

hello, i just wanted to let you know that i have successfully purchased the Diplomat America plan for my son. everything worked ok after your clarifications. the web site and payment worked very smoothly. i will check back before september to either renew the current plan (there will be a gap after it expires and before i renew) or just repurchase a new plan.
        thank you again for your help.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X