Green card through marriage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green card through marriage?

Does every applicant go through the conditional period? My wife and I got married on December 2016. We filed all of our paperwork last month. I know it says if married for less than 2 years you will only get a GC for 2 years at which later on you will have to go for another interview to get the permanent 10 year one. If the interview for us doesn't happen till after December 2019, would that count as 2 years therefore granting me the 10 year GC or is it when you filed the paperwork?

Originally posted by cnarias7 View Post
    Does every applicant go through the conditional period? My wife and I got married on December 2016. We filed all of our paperwork last month. I know it says if married for less than 2 years you will only get a GC for 2 years at which later on you will have to go for another interview to get the permanent 10 year one. If the interview for us doesn't happen till after December 2019, would that count as 2 years therefore granting me the 10 year GC or is it when you filed the paperwork?
    If on the day you become a permanent resident (which if you are doing AOS in the US, is basically when AOS is approved), you have been married for 2 years (i.e. after December 2018), you will become a non-conditional permanent resident.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

2016 + 2 = 2018

If you are admitted as a permanent resident (which occurs when your application to adjust status is approved, which occurs at the end of your interview or after) when you've been married for more than two years, your permanent residency will not be subject to those conditions

Comment

Originally posted by cnarias7 View Post
        If on the day of your interview you have been married for 2 years, you will get a 10 year green card. In most places, it’s taking about a year to get the interview. You might just get yours in or around the 2 year mark. If it’s very close, though, say your 2 year anniversary is 2 weeks or 1 month away, tell the officer you’re happy to return then to get your 10 year card.
        Make it easy for them to approve you and present solid evidence of financial ties.
        Our timing is similar. I’m about to file for my spouse and we’ve been married about 6 months. It’s taking longer than a year for people to get an interview date here. So by the time we get an interview we’ll be over the 1.5 year mark.

Last thing, to answer your hypothetical scenario, if your interview does not happen until 12/2019, then yes, you will
        Get a 10 year card AND you will be eligible for US citizenship around August 2019 which is about 90 days prior to your 3 rd anniversary of marriage to a US citizen as a permanent resident.

There’s a guy in another forum whose interview was two weeks before the 2 year anniversary of marriage and the officer offered the couple to return in two weeks to pick up the 10 year card.

Best of luck!

Comment

Green card through marriage

If his green card is approved in 12/2019 then he becomes eligible to apply for citizenship 3 years after becoming a permanent resident because of his marriage to a US citizen.
          His 3 years will be 12/ 22.

Not legal advice, use at your own risk
          Last edited by Amember; 01-06-2018, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Green Card through Marriage

Hello!
            I would like to share my experience of doing the paper work for my husband’s immigration for green Card. (he was not in US during this whole time ) I sent all the required documents to NVC.
            I did paper marriage in 08/2015 and filled for his immigration in 04/2016.
            I waited for this long because I myself was a green card holder and I wanted to apply for citizenship. I applied for my citizenship in 04/2016. So both the process started almost together.
            I heard back from USCIS on 09/2016 that the paperwork is approved and the case is moved to NVC. And because I’m a green card holder I’m in queue until it’s my turn ( for green card holders the time frame is anywhere between 1.5-2 years)
            In 01/2017 I got my US citizenship. The same day I called NVC and informed them about my status change. They asked me to send them my naturalization form in the form of email. One week later they informed me that my case is open. And I can start the 6 steps process. I and my husband then started it by paying the fee and filling out forms DS-260. We then collected all the financial documents, made a packet and send everything as directed to NVC.
            I haven’t heard back from USCIS till April. I went to overseas in 04/2017 due to some personal reasons.
            Anyways we kept calling NVC and finally in 06/2017 they told us that we are missing the police certificate of my husband. And the one we sent is wrong police certificate. ( it’s one of the document from the list of documents you send to NVC). Me and my husband clearly remembered that we had sent 2 police certificates because the country my husband lives in had 2 different kinds. In case they accept only one. But NVC insisted that that they don’t have the correct one. We insisted and told them even if we send it again it would be the same document. They said we can wait for the supervisor to look into the documents again but this will take 2 weeks. We said ok we will wait for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks we called them again and were told the same thing.
            In 07/2017 We sent the SAME DOCUMENT again (NVC always takes 4-6 weeks in processing your documents regardless of if it’s a whole packet of documents or just one document) and started waiting for their decision. We haven’t heard back from them till August. So we decided to call them again. Luckily this representative we spoke to was extremely good and he suggested us that we can EXPEDITE the process. He explained us the procedure. ( it’s writing an email explains why you want to expedite) we explained our problems. The expedite request was accepted in a week. My husband did his Medi-Cal in August and got an interview call in September, the 2nd week of swore embrace he gave his interview and after ONE day he got his visa.

By sharing this whole story I wanted to inform people of my experience and on top of everything I want to share THE EXPEDITE process. People don’t know this thing, so please if you want your case to be processed fast, just ask them to expedite it as soon as it’s transfers to NVC.

Thanks

Comment

Green card through Marriage

I would like to share my experience of doing the paper work for my husband’s immigration for green Card. (he was not in US during this whole time ) I sent all the required documents to NVC.
              I did paper marriage in 08/2015 and filled for his immigration in 04/2016.
              I waited for this long because I myself was a green card holder and I wanted to apply for citizenship. I applied for my citizenship in 04/2016. So both the process started almost together.
              I heard back from USCIS on 09/2016 that the paperwork is approved and the case is moved to NVC. And because I’m a green card holder I’m in queue until it’s my turn ( for green card holders the time frame is anywhere between 1.5-2 years)
              In 01/2017 I got my US citizenship. The same day I called NVC and informed them about my status change. They asked me to send them my naturalization form in the form of email. One week later they informed me that my case is open. And I can start the 6 steps process. I and my husband then started it by paying the fee and filling out forms DS-260. We then collected all the financial documents, made a packet and send everything as directed to NVC.
              I haven’t heard back from USCIS till April. I went to overseas in 04/2017 due to some personal reasons.
              Anyways we kept calling NVC and finally in 06/2017 they told us that we are missing the police certificate of my husband. And the one we sent is wrong police certificate. ( it’s one of the document from the list of documents you send to NVC). Me and my husband clearly remembered that we had sent 2 police certificates because the country my husband lives in had 2 different kinds. In case they accept only one. But NVC insisted that that they don’t have the correct one. We insisted and told them even if we send it again it would be the same document. They said we can wait for the supervisor to look into the documents again but this will take 2 weeks. We said ok we will wait for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks we called them again and were told the same thing.
              In 07/2017 We sent the SAME DOCUMENT again (NVC always takes 4-6 weeks in processing your documents regardless of if it’s a whole packet of documents or just one document) and started waiting for their decision. We haven’t heard back from them till August. So we decided to call them again. Luckily this representative we spoke to was extremely good and he suggested us that we can EXPEDITE the process. He explained us the procedure. ( it’s writing an email explains why you want to expedite) we explained our problems. The expedite request was accepted in a week. My husband did his Medi-Cal in August and got an interview call in September, the 2nd week of swore embrace he gave his interview and after ONE day he got his visa.

By sharing this whole story I wanted to inform people of my experience and on top of everything I want to share THE EXPEDITE process. People don’t know this thing, so please if you want your case to be processed fast, just ask them to expedite it as soon as it’s transfers to NVC.

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X