Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got married, need advice on emigrating

Hi,

I found this forum online and was looking to see if anyone can help us as we don't want to go through an attorney unless we absolutely have to.

I live in the UK, my spouse lives in the US and is a US citizen. We got married at the beginning of December in the US and we are now looking into the best option to get me over there under a spouse visa. We've looked into going through a CR1 and K3 visa and see that they take up to 12 months to clear so I have a few questions.

Is there a faster option than going through this route? I've heard of fiance visas allowing the spouse to remain with their partner after getting married and going through the visa process - is this something we can do, or is there another visa application other than the CR1 and K3? (We've heard of consular processing but unsure if we are eligible or if it's the correction option)

Can I travel to the US while this visa application is being processed? I have tickets booked to visit her in April for two weeks, but don't want to be rejected when trying to enter the country.

Many thanks for everyone's help

- Pol

No. You are married, and so is not a fiance. Also, K-3 is obsolete. You will get a (CR-1) immigrant visa directly. Yes, it will take some time. You can try to visit the US as a visitor as before, but there is an increased chance of being denied entry if the officer suspects you will just change your mind and apply for Adjustment of Status while there.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      if the officer suspects you will just change your mind and apply for Adjustment of Status while there.
      Is adjustment of status not possible? Is it illegal or is it something people actually do?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PolarisTR View Post
        Is adjustment of status not possible? Is it illegal or is it something people actually do?

Thanks
        Adjustment of status is only if you are already in the US with another status. As newacct mentioned, you might be rejected admission on a tourist visa, if the CBP official suspects immigrant intent. If you are able to enter the US, then yes you can do adjustment of status.
        Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X