Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On an ESTA, Decided to get married. How to fill out the I-485?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On an ESTA, Decided to get married. How to fill out the I-485?

It would be great to find a step by step guide for adjustment of status for those on the ESTA.

On I-485 Part 1:

-question 10 - Do I have an Alien number?

-question 11 - Do I have a USCIS account number?

-question 16: Travel document used at last entry? - Do I put N/A if I provided my passport number to question 15?

-question 19: Nonimmigrant visa number from this passport? - Do I put N/A or VWP?

-question 22a: was inspected at port of entry and admitted as? - Do I put WT?

-question 25c : Do I enter my middle name of it wasn't on my I-94?

Can my wife and I concurrently file the I-130 and I-485?
    If so, on I-485 Part 2, what do I put for:

-question 3: Receipt number of underlying petition (if any)?

-question 4: Priority date from underlying petition (if any)?

On I-485 Part 5:

-question 10 : Is your current spouse applying with you? - she's a US citizen and she's filing the I-130 to petition for me, however that isn't the same as applying, right?

Part 8 - General Eligibility and Inadmissibility Grounds

Basically the questions 1-13 ask if you have ever been part of any organisation anywhere in the world. I assume this doesn't mean employment? I was in some hiking clubs years ago, and the scouts as a teen, seems totally irrelevant, do I still need to mention things like that?

-question 25: have you ever been arrested, cited, charged, or detained, or for any reason? - I got a speeding ticket and a traffic violation in the US in 2016, should I mention them?

-question 26: have you ever committed a crime of any kind? - once again, the traffic violations (turned left before it was my turn)

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.
    02/14/2018 - Case received
    02/20/2018 - Received 4 I-797 NOA letters
    03/16/2018 - Biometrics
    04/08/2018 - Expedited EAD (Extreme Emergent Situation)
    04/20/2018 - Received a letter requesting evidence of Extreme Emergent Situation
    05/04/2018 - Notified that EAD being processed
    05/11/2018 - EAD arrived
    07/18/2018 - Request for interview
    08/23/2018 - Interview - GC approved

You're asking more questions than anyone can patiently responding at one sitting.

1. You don't have an Alien Number.
    2. You don't have a USCIS account number.
    3. It's your passport number or ESTA number.
    4. You don't have a visa, so there is no nonimmigrant visa number.
    5. You were inspected at entry.
    6. Yes, enter your middle name.

My time is short, so I can't answer your other questions at this sitting.

--Ray B

Originally posted by lukefromireland View Post
    It would be great to find a step by step guide for adjustment of status for those on the ESTA.

On I-485 Part 1:

-question 16: Travel document used at last entry? - Do I put N/A if I provided my passport number to question 15?

-question 19: Nonimmigrant visa number from this passport? - Do I put N/A or VWP?

On I-485 Part 5:

-question 10 : Is your current spouse applying with you? - she's a US citizen and she's filing the I-130 to petition for me, however that isn't the same as applying, right?

Basically the questions 1-13 ask if you have ever been part of any organisation anywhere in the world. I assume this doesn't mean employment? I was in some hiking clubs years ago, and the scouts as a teen, seems totally irrelevant, do I still need to mention things like that?

-question 25: have you ever been arrested, cited, charged, or detained, or for any reason? - I got a speeding ticket and a traffic violation in the US in 2016, should I mention them?

-question 26: have you ever committed a crime of any kind? - once again, the traffic violations (turned left before it was my turn)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comment

On I-485 Part 1:

No you do not
      You are correct
      N/A
      yes
      Yes

Since your spouse is a US citizen, concurrently she can file Form I-130 while you file Form I-485
      "none" or blank. "N/A" is for applicants who are eligible to adjust without any underlying immigrant petition. Don't stress about this

On I-485 Part 5:
      No your spouse is not applying with you

List all political, military, and paramilitary organizations you have ever been associated with
      Yes, yes. You will have to disclose the details in Part 14

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
        No you do not
        You are correct N/A yesYes

Since your spouse is a US citizen, concurrently she can file Form I-130 while you file Form I-485 "none" or blank. "N/A" is for applicants who are eligible to adjust without any underlying immigrant petition. Don't stress about this

No your spouse is not applying with you

List all political, military, and paramilitary organizations you have ever been associated with
        Yes, yes. You will have to disclose the details in Part 14
        Wow, thanks for the great reply. Really appreciated. I am filling out the !-485 on Adobe, I can'y type 'N/A' for the A-number on each page because it only allows numbers to be typed. Also when answered 'N/A' some fields don't allow me to use '/'. Does this matter?
        03/16/2018 - Biometrics
        04/20/2018 - Received a letter requesting evidence of Extreme Emergent Situation
        05/11/2018 - EAD arrived

Comment

Wow, thanks for the great reply. Really appreciated. I am filling out the !-485 on Adobe, I can'y type 'N/A' for the A-number on each page because it only allows numbers to be typed. Also when answered 'N/A' some fields don't allow me to use '/'. Does this matter?
          You can turn off JavaScript in Acrobat Reader, type whatever you need, and then turn it back on. Or you can write it in by hand.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
            You can turn off JavaScript in Acrobat Reader, type whatever you need, and then turn it back on. Or you can write it in by hand.
            Awesome thank you!

For part 1 question 24 "What is your current immigration status (if it has changed since your arrival)? Do I put N/A? since it hasn't changed. I got married but that doesn't change the fact I'm here on an ESTA. Or should I put WT? thank you
            03/16/2018 - Biometrics
            05/11/2018 - EAD arrived

Comment

Awesome thank you!

For part 1 question 24 "What is your current immigration status (if it has changed since your arrival)? Do I put N/A? since it hasn't changed. I got married but that doesn't change the fact I'm here on an ESTA. Or should I put WT? thank you
              either "WT" or "(not changed since arrival)" should be fine

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
                either "WT" or "(not changed since arrival)" should be fine
                ok great, thank you.
                03/16/2018 - Biometrics
                05/11/2018 - EAD arrived

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X