Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TN Visa to Green Card (Family Sponsored)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN Visa to Green Card (Family Sponsored)

Hi All,

I am currently working in Dallas under TN visa and my wife is a green card holder. I have applied for a GC through her in June 2017 and the USCIS case status shows that we have received your form I - 130 and are currently processing. Does anyone know how long this process takes and what the next steps are. I greatly appreciate your response. If someone has the same experience, can they please paste their timeline.

Thanks

You'll get your turn in about 18 months. In the mean time, you may have difficulty gaining re-entry to the United States on your TN visa (which doesn't allow immigrant intent), or getting TN extensions. If your wife naturalizes as a US citizen before then, you can then immediately apply for adjustment of status

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
      You'll get your turn in about 18 months. In the mean time, you may have difficulty gaining re-entry to the United States on your TN visa (which doesn't allow immigrant intent), or getting TN extensions. If your wife naturalizes as a US citizen before then, you can then immediately apply for adjustment of status
      Thanks for the response. Do you mean I should get my GC in 18 months or its 18 months to apply for the next step. Apparently, there are numerous steps involved in getting a GC.

Comment

You will apply for adjustment of status when your priority date is current. At that point, it is okay if your TN status expires, you can remain in the country. At the same time, you will be applying for Advance Parole and Employment Authorization - you can travel abroad/return and work (for any employer) after they are both approved (typically 4 months after applying). You should get your green card a year after applying for adjustment.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantic62 View Post
          Hi All,

I am currently working in Dallas under TN visa and my wife is a green card holder. I have applied for a GC through her in June 2017 and the USCIS case status shows that we have received your form I - 130 and are currently processing. Does anyone know how long this process takes and what the next steps are. I greatly appreciate your response. If someone has the same experience, can they please paste their timeline.

Thanks
          Did you guys marry before or after she became a permanent resident?

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
            Did you guys marry before or after she became a permanent resident?
            She was a permanent resident prior to us getting married.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X