Average time to receive the green card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average time to receive the green card

I know it depends case by case but I'm just curios to see what is nowadays the average time people have waited to received their green card. I'm getting married soon and file straight after for I485 (my goal is a the end of February). I live in Ohio with my companion (American citizen), I'm Italian and I arrived in US with an H1B visa that is still valid and so it will be until April 2019. I just want to see what are the chances to have my green card within 2018 or early 2019.

Thanks!!!
    Filing Type: Concurrent I-130, I-130A I-485 (I-693 + I-864), I-765
    Package Sent: 3/12
    PD: 3/14/
    Checks Cashed: 3/27
    NoAs via Email/Texts: 3/27
    NoAs via Mail: 3/30
    Biometric letter: 4/5
    Biometric: 4/18
    Ready to be schedule for an interview 4/24
    Interview was scheduled 5/22
    Letter for interview received 5/26
    Interview schedule for 6/26 @12.30 pm
    Green card approved after interview
    Green Card being printed 6/27
    Green Card received on July 5. Total of 115 Days since PD

Every case is different and some fall outside of normal processing times (Mine). Id say typical turn around time is between 6-9 months. My wife's green card is taking 2+ years, for no reason whatsoever. Likely someone isn't doing there job and/or lost our paperwork. If you look at some peoples timelines, you can gather an idea of how long some of each step takes.. Some are luckier then others.
    Marriage-based AOS- CHICAGO Concurrent filing
    08/26/2015 - Priority Date
    09/21/2015 - Biometrics Scheduled/Completed
    01/07/2016 - Interview Chicago Field Office
    03/27/2018 - Notice of Intent to Deny
    04/13/2018 - Submitted Rebuttal to NOID
    06/00/2018 - Received Approved I-130
    06/00/2018 - RFE received for updated Medical Exam
    06/12/2018 - Submitted updated Medical Exam
    07/02/2018 - Received Approval for I485
    07/06/2018 - Received Green Card in Mail

Comment

You can apply for an EAD and an Advance Parole, both for free, together with applying for Adjustment of Status, and you should get the EAD/AP in about 5 months, and you can renew the EAD/AP for free as long as your AOS is pending. With EAD and AP, you can work and travel abroad, and you basically have most of the rights of a permanent resident, so it doesn't matter that much how long AOS takes.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Timeline varies case by case. I filled out paperwork back in October and I’m still waiting for receipts( don’t ask me why idk.) My lawyer said he’s taking his time to prepare my case, but it’s been over 3 months. This waiting is killing me. I am hopeful to hear something before this months is over.

Comment

Originally posted by Josehernandez View Post
          Timeline varies case by case. I filled out paperwork back in October and I’m still waiting for receipts( don’t ask me why idk.) My lawyer said he’s taking his time to prepare my case, but it’s been over 3 months. This waiting is killing me. I am hopeful to hear something before this months is over.
          I filed it myself and within 2 weeks I received my NoA, and within a month I received my biometrics appointment.

Comment

Originally posted by flyforever85 View Post
            I know it depends case by case but I'm just curios to see what is nowadays the average time people have waited to received their green card. I'm getting married soon and file straight after for I485 (my goal is a the end of February). I live in Ohio with my companion (American citizen), I'm Italian and I arrived in US with an H1B visa that is still valid and so it will be until April 2019. I just want to see what are the chances to have my green card within 2018 or early 2019.

Thanks!!!
            There is someone here who is in Cincinnati, OH and it was pretty quick for him. Apparently, there isn't much of a wait in your state if everything else is in order with your case.

Comment

Realistically each case is different and as a result processing times can vary wildly from case to case regardless of where they are being processed. Yes, some field offices seem to operate faster than others but even within those offices there will be cases that are processed faster and slower than their average time.

Comparing your timeline to that of others will do nothing to expedite the processing of your own case and probably do little for your peace of mind. I would be prepared to for the process to take a year from filing and if it happens faster, then you can feel lucky and if it takes longer then it is probably outside the normal processing times.

If you look at the current processing times https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do you will see it is around 6 months to receive an EAD as part of the AOS package.

Comment

I'm in Ohio, and it took me about 6.5 months from my PD to get the green card. As others have pointed out, things generally move pretty quickly here. My case was delayed because I got a RFIE for something I already submitted but probably got lost at their office or in transit. After I submitted the document they asked for, EAD/AP got approved within 3 weeks and about one or two weeks after that I got the interview notice.

Comment

Originally posted by kenzie1203 View Post
                  I'm in Ohio, and it took me about 6.5 months from my PD to get the green card. As others have pointed out, things generally move pretty quickly here. My case was delayed because I got a RFIE for something I already submitted but probably got lost at their office or in transit. After I submitted the document they asked for, EAD/AP got approved within 3 weeks and about one or two weeks after that I got the interview notice.
                  That's great, thank you very much. I'm getting married this Saturday and I'm collecting all the documents in order to file no later than the end of February. I would love to finish this year with my green card in my hands!! I still have an H1B visa valid until April 2019 (with possible extension to 2021) so I'm not really worried but still...

It would be great if we can talk about the interview you will get! Will you be in Cincinnati?
                  Filing Type: Concurrent I-130, I-130A I-485 (I-693 + I-864), I-765
                  Package Sent: 3/12
                  PD: 3/14/
                  Checks Cashed: 3/27
                  NoAs via Email/Texts: 3/27
                  NoAs via Mail: 3/30
                  Biometric letter: 4/5
                  Biometric: 4/18
                  Ready to be schedule for an interview 4/24
                  Interview was scheduled 5/22
                  Letter for interview received 5/26
                  Interview schedule for 6/26 @12.30 pm
                  Green card approved after interview
                  Green Card being printed 6/27
                  Green Card received on July 5. Total of 115 Days since PD

Comment

Originally posted by flyforever85 View Post
                    That's great, thank you very much. I'm getting married this Saturday and I'm collecting all the documents in order to file no later than the end of February. I would love to finish this year with my green card in my hands!! I still have an H1B visa valid until April 2019 (with possible extension to 2021) so I'm not really worried but still...

It would be great if we can talk about the interview you will get! Will you be in Cincinnati?
                    My interview was at the end of December I got approved and green card was delivered at the beginning of Jan.

I had my interview in Cincinnati. As far as I can tell, the officers are pretty nice and friendly. Ours went very smoothly - it was done in less than 15 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
                      You can apply for an EAD and an Advance Parole, both for free, together with applying for Adjustment of Status, and you should get the EAD/AP in about 5 months, and you can renew the EAD/AP for free as long as your AOS is pending. With EAD and AP, you can work and travel abroad, and you basically have most of the rights of a permanent resident, so it doesn't matter that much how long AOS takes.
                      Hi, question about renewal of EAD/AP. My EAD/AP expires this coming May and until now I have not received an interview appointment and it's been 12 months this month. May I know what kind of form/s needed for renewal and how is the processing? I have not filed my initial paperworks, it was the Lawyer but they are charging way too much just to renew the EAD/AP. And I am thinking I will do it myself to save $400.

Appreciate your response.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X