Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affidavit support question

Hi guys,

I am currently h1-b worker , recently married a US citizen,and we want to file green card. I got one question regarding affidavit support requirement. My wife is currently unemployed and we want to show my income for the affidavit support. Below section in quotes i copied pasted from I864 form instructions that USCIS website. This says if intending immigrant is spouse, his/her income can be counted , but it must continue from same source after he/she becomes lawful permanent resident. Does this mean i cannot change jobs after i become permanent resident ? (i would love to get out of consulting once i am permanent resident) Does anybody have experience in this ? thanks.

" Income from the intending immigrant, if that income will continue from the same source after immigration, and if the
    intending immigrant is currently living in your residence. If the intending immigrant is your spouse, his or her income
    can be counted regardless of current residence, but it must continue from the same source after he or she becomes a
    lawful permanent resident"

Originally posted by serjohn27 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am currently h1-b worker , recently married a US citizen,and we want to file green card. I got one question regarding affidavit support requirement. My wife is currently unemployed and we want to show my income for the affidavit support. Below section in quotes i copied pasted from I864 form instructions that USCIS website. This says if intending immigrant is spouse, his/her income can be counted , but it must continue from same source after he/she becomes lawful permanent resident. Does this mean i cannot change jobs after i become permanent resident ? (i would love to get out of consulting once i am permanent resident) Does anybody have experience in this ? thanks.

" Income from the intending immigrant, if that income will continue from the same source after immigration, and if the
    intending immigrant is currently living in your residence. If the intending immigrant is your spouse, his or her income
    can be counted regardless of current residence, but it must continue from the same source after he or she becomes a
    lawful permanent resident"
    I think basically, if you are working in the US, it is assumed that you can continue the job after you become a permanent resident. I think that condition is mostly so that you cannot count income from a job that is abroad that you will abandon once you immigrate. It doesn't mean that you have to prove you won't lose the job or leave the job in the future.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X