F-1 / Green Card through Siblings | F-1/EB-5 Green Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 / Green Card through Siblings | F-1/EB-5 Green Card

Three questions regarding the F-1 Student Visa.

First: I'm Canadian and my brother and sister are U.S. citizens. Can my brother or sister sponsor me to get a green card while I'm on an F-1 visa? Can I keep going to school in the States for 15 years on an F-1 and wait for my green card in the States?

Second: Can I have an F-1 and an EB-5 at the same time, or would there have to be an adjustment of status?

Third: If I am sponsoring and paying my own way through college in the states on an F-1, does it matter if my money is in a Canadian or American bank? I have a Canadian debit card that works in the States.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Laudawa; 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM.

Thanks,

Originally posted by Laudawa View Post
    Three questions regarding the F-1 Student Visa.

First: I'm Canadian and my brother and sister are U.S. citizens. Can my brother or sister sponsor me to get a green card while I'm on an F-1 visa? Can I keep going to school in the States for 15 years on an F-1 and wait for my green card in the States?

Second: Can I have an F-1 and an EB-5 at the same time, or would there have to be an adjustment of status?

Third: If I am sponsoring and paying my own way through college in the states on an F-1, does it matter if my money is in a Canadian or American bank? I have a Canadian debit card that works in the States.

Thank you.
    I'm concerned about this problem.

Comment

Support me

Hope someone supports this issue

Comment

Applicants for F-1 status bear the burden of overcoming the presumption of immigrant intent

Assuming you have already obtained admission and have no plans to leave, and you can maintain status as a student for 15 years, then yes it is fine for your siblings to sponsor you now and you wait until your turn in queue comes up to immigrate. In practice, you might need to leave (vacation, family emergency, homesickness), you might run out of money (15 years of non-resident tuition is a pretty penny), or you might not be able to sustain the grueling academic rigor (very few have the patience and dedication to obtain multiple graduate degrees). On the other hand, over so many years, you might settle down and start a family, or obtain a permanent job offer, making you eligible to obtain permanent residency through a spouse or employer

I'm not sure why you mentioned EB-5 - but that certainly is a way to obtain permanent residency that is quicker than waiting through a sibling petition, and leaves you with more independence than obtaining permanent residency through a spouse or employer. Again, F-1 does not permit immigrant intent, so you should be prepared to stay in the United States through the conclusion of the EB-5 process, and then adjust your status to a permanent resident when EB-5 is complete

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X