Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work permit for IRs

Hi there,

How much time does it take generally to receive Immigrant visa for a spouse of a US citizen after submitting necessary papers and docs ? After receiving the IR/CR visa, is the spouse eligible to work in the US ? How is this visa different from Green card ?

Thanks & Regards

Originally posted by santy1 View Post
    Hi there,

How much time does it take generally to receive Immigrant visa for a spouse of a US citizen after submitting necessary papers and docs ? After receiving the IR/CR visa, is the spouse eligible to work in the US ? How is this visa different from Green card ?

Thanks & Regards
    Since you are talking about "immigrant visa", I presume your spouse is doing Consular Processing at a US consulate abroad. People doing Adjustment of Status in the US don't get immigrant visas.

The time it takes for Consular Processing varies by consulate, but generally the time from filing of the I-130 petition to receiving of the immigrant visa can take a year or so. The immigrant does not become a permanent resident until they enter the US with their immigrant visa (before that, they are just a foreigner with a visa). When they enter the US with their immigrant visa, at that moment they immediately become a US permanent resident, and thus can immediately work in the US. No "work permit" is needed. The immigrant visa they used to enter the US turns into a temporary proof of permanent residency for 1 year. They should receive the plastic green card in a few months after entry, assuming they paid the USCIS immigrant fee.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X