a B2 visa gets engaged to a GC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a B2 visa gets engaged to a GC

My friend is in the U.S. as a tourist and met a lady, who has a greencard.
    They decide to get married, but what is the easiest/smoothest way for him to get a greencard?
    Should they get married asap and she apply for a greencard for him?
    Or should she file for a K1 visa and get married?

Get married and apply for greencard.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by sangeem View Post
      My friend is in the U.S. as a tourist and met a lady, who has a greencard.
      They decide to get married, but what is the easiest/smoothest way for him to get a greencard?
      Should they get married asap and she apply for a greencard for him?
      Or should she file for a K1 visa and get married?
      A spouse of a permanent resident is in the F2A category, which currently has a 2 year wait for visa numbers. That means only about 2 years after filing I-130 can he either do Adjustment of Status in the US, if he is in the US and in status at that time, or do Consular Processing at a US consulate abroad otherwise. A pending or approved I-130 does not give him any ability to stay in the US during the time he is waiting for a visa number to become available. So basically they would marry, file I-130, and then he leaves for 2 years before he consular processes for an immigrant visa. He could try to make brief visits on B2 visa during this time but the chance of denial of entry is high.

K1 is only for fiances of US citizens. Permanent residents cannot petition for fiances.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X