Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got engaged! K1 with child?

Hey!
    So I just got engaged and my fiancee (US citizen) and I (UK citizen) are looking at filing for our K1 this spring.
    I will be moving to the US with my 4 year old daughter and I have a few Qs.

When applying, we know that she'll be included on my K1, will I also have to fill out K2 forms or is that not a necessity?

While waiting for our AoS, will she be eligible to go to school, or would that be something that only happens once we get the GC through? I'll be needing to learn to drive too - I'm unsure however how financial matters would work - the SSN would come once we have submitted AoS, yes? and that should allow me to open accounts and apply for the work permits and start working, before the GC is recieved, yes?

Thanks ^_^

Our experience

My daughter in law was given a stamp in her passport that the guy said would allow her to work and travel.

I think here SS card arrived 2 weeks after she arrived in the States.

Comment

Originally posted by lacrimosaangel View Post
      Hey!
      So I just got engaged and my fiancee (US citizen) and I (UK citizen) are looking at filing for our K1 this spring.
      I will be moving to the US with my 4 year old daughter and I have a few Qs.

When applying, we know that she'll be included on my K1, will I also have to fill out K2 forms or is that not a necessity?
      She will need to get a K-2 visa; I am not sure how the forms work.

While waiting for our AoS, will she be eligible to go to school
      yes

the SSN would come once we have submitted AoS, yes?
      No. You can apply for an SSN in K-1 status after arriving. If you do not manage to apply for an SSN during the 90 days of K-1 status, you must wait until you get an EAD or GC before you can apply for an SSN.

and that should allow me to open accounts
      you don't actually need an SSN to open accounts, though some banks might give you trouble

and apply for the work permits and start working, before the GC is recieved, yes?
      You (as well as your daughter) should file I-765 for EAD and I-131 for Advance Parole (both for free) together with your I-485 (AOS). It takes 4-6 months to get EAD/AP after applying. With EAD, you can work, apply for SSN (if you haven't already), apply for driver's license, etc. while the AOS is pending. With AP, you can travel abroad and return while the AOS is pending. You can renew EAD and AP (for free) for as long as AOS is pending.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
        She will need to get a K-2 visa; I am not sure how the forms work.

yes

No. You can apply for an SSN in K-1 status after arriving. If you do not manage to apply for an SSN during the 90 days of K-1 status, you must wait until you get an EAD or GC before you can apply for an SSN.

you don't actually need an SSN to open accounts, though some banks might give you trouble

You (as well as your daughter) should file I-765 for EAD and I-131 for Advance Parole (both for free) together with your I-485 (AOS). It takes 4-6 months to get EAD/AP after applying. With EAD, you can work, apply for SSN (if you haven't already), apply for driver's license, etc. while the AOS is pending. With AP, you can travel abroad and return while the AOS is pending. You can renew EAD and AP (for free) for as long as AOS is pending.

This is perfect!!! Thank you We'll probably be getting married towards the latter end of the 90 days, as we'll need to have time to finalise plans, so I'll have plenty of time for SSN, I don't want to wait until the whole GC wait is over to start working and driving - especially as the kids (my 4 year old and his 3 year old) will have school to attend and I want to support our family, so this should work out great Thank you!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X