Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concurrent I-130 & I-485: Community College Courses Before Green Card

Hi All!
    My husband and I concurrently filed I-130 and I-485 on October 22, 2017. I am Brazilian and just received my Social Security Card and Number. I want to improve my English skills by taking courses at the local community college. However, I am concerned that courses at a public college would be considered as public assistance and may be a red flag during the interviews. Does anyone have any experience with taking public college courses during the I-485 application processes?
    Obrigado!
    Lari

College isn’t viewed as public assistance. You will have to pay tuition. You may even get hit with out of state fees. I don’t think taking college courses will be a problem for you at all.
    Adjustment of Status c(9) 400 days
    Married: 8/18/17
    Package Sent: 10/16/17 ~~ Received (PD): 10/19/17
    I-485 Status - "Biometrics Fee Received": 10/28/17
    Biometric Appointment (11/16/17) Received: 11/3/17 Done: 11/9/17
    EAD/AP Approved: 1/4/18 (Day 77) Notices & Card Received: 1/11/18
    EAD/AP Renewal Received: 10/4/18
    Interview Notice & EAD/AP Renewal Receipts Received: 10/9/18 (Day 355)
    Interview date: 11/13/18 ~ New Card Being Produced (Day 390)
    Card in hand! 11/23/18 (Day 400)

Comment

Originally posted by Larizihno View Post
      Hi All!
      My husband and I concurrently filed I-130 and I-485 on October 22, 2017. I am Brazilian and just received my Social Security Card and Number. I want to improve my English skills by t aking courses at the local community college. However, I am concerned that courses at a public college would be considered as public assistance and may be a red flag during the interviews. Does anyone have any experience with taking public college courses during the I-485 application processes?
      Obrigado!
      Lari
      Hi!! I m brasilian too.

Try to send to me a private message!

I m starting a course tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Larizihno View Post
        Hi All!
        My husband and I concurrently filed I-130 and I-485 on October 22, 2017. I am Brazilian and just received my Social Security Card and Number. I want to improve my English skills by taking courses at the local community college. However, I am concerned that courses at a public college would be considered as public assistance and may be a red flag during the interviews. Does anyone have any experience with taking public college courses during the I-485 application processes?
        Obrigado!
        Lari
        It should not be a problem. They will likely classify you as non-resident for tuition purposes. However, you should be able to qualify for a non-resident waiver because you are married to a resident of the state. They'll want to see your spouse's income tax, proof of address. You might have to show proof of physical presence in your state, too. Just look on the school's financial aid website and search for "non-resident waiver". You should get a few hits with those terms.

Best of luck!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X