Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 to F1

Hi,

I read FAQs on the forum, it stated one can not transfer B2 visitor to student visa without applying to individuals original country. I wanted to understand this and see if anyone can help me. I will be visiting US later this year. I am also applying to get into university by end of the year, chances are I will hear from admissions while I am traveling in US. So I wonder, can I do all my F1 student visa application process while in US (I can have papers submitted direct to India's immigration office in India). If I do this, would I be able to go to visa interview in US?

So in a way, I am wondering how I can get F1 visa while I am visiting in US without leaving country?

also, anyone have recommendations on student forum that I can get discussions on universities for Indian student applying in US?

Originally posted by puppypanda View Post
    Hi,

I read FAQs on the forum, it stated one can not transfer B2 visitor to student visa without applying to individuals original country. I wanted to understand this and see if anyone can help me. I will be visiting US later this year. I am also applying to get into university by end of the year, chances are I will hear from admissions while I am traveling in US. So I wonder, can I do all my F1 student visa application process while in US (I can have papers submitted direct to India's immigration office in India). If I do this, would I be able to go to visa interview in US?

So in a way, I am wondering how I can get F1 visa while I am visiting in US without leaving country?

also, anyone have recommendations on student forum that I can get discussions on universities for Indian student applying in US?
    First of all, US "visas" are only for entry to the US. You cannot get a US visa inside the US because if you are already in the US, you don't need to "enter".

What governs your stay in the US is your "status", and it is possible to do a Change of Status in the US from B2 status to F1 status. However, the process takes many months, and you cannot start school until it is approved, and USCIS policy for B2 Change of Status to F1 requires you to maintain B2 status (filing Extension of Status to extend it if necessary) for several months into the Change of Status.

It might be easier and faster to just leave and get an F1 visa and come back.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

B-2 to F-1 is possible in theory, but in practice it almost always ends in tears

Either apply for your F-1 before your trip, and then make a return trip through the Canadian/Mexican border before school starts; or return home and apply for your F-1 visa there

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
        B-2 to F-1 is possible in theory, but in practice it almost always ends in tears

Either apply for your F-1 before your trip, and then make a return trip through the Canadian/Mexican border before school starts; or return home and apply for your F-1 visa there
        Just to give you a perspective. One of my friend is waiting since April 25th of last year for B2-F1 COS. Already spent Filing fee for 3 I-539s - one for B2-F1 and 2 for B2 extension each at $370!!. I just hope he gets some closure to his case so that he can move on in his life. USCIS is terribly slow in processing B2-F1 COS as one can go back and apply F-1 from their home country.

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post

Thanks for response. After reading these responses, I am leaning to wait to get F1 from home country. However, I have question about ability to get F1 from Canada/Mexico if I initially arrive in US on B2.

I still have not received i20 from university, as I am in process of hearing back from Universities for MS. Suppose I come to US on B2 (before receiving i20). Meaning, if I receive i20 while I am in US on B2; would that be considered breaking rules, as on B2 I am not suppose to be applying or visiting schools? Does that present risk, when I go through the interview/F1 process in Canada/Mexico?

Then lets assume, I did get i20 while in US on B2. What is process of getting F1, is it just filling DS160, paying fee, and waiting for interview letter? Then I would take the interview letter (cross border to Canada/Mexico) then present all documents at border and get my interview/visa done there?

Comment

Any update for your case?

Originally posted by puppypanda View Post
            Thanks for response. After reading these responses, I am leaning to wait to get F1 from home country. However, I have question about ability to get F1 from Canada/Mexico if I initially arrive in US on B2.

I still have not received i20 from university, as I am in process of hearing back from Universities for MS. Suppose I come to US on B2 (before receiving i20). Meaning, if I receive i20 while I am in US on B2; would that be considered breaking rules, as on B2 I am not suppose to be applying or visiting schools? Does that present risk, when I go through the interview/F1 process in Canada/Mexico?

Then lets assume, I did get i20 while in US on B2. What is process of getting F1, is it just filling DS160, paying fee, and waiting for interview letter? Then I would take the interview letter (cross border to Canada/Mexico) then present all documents at border and get my interview/visa done there?

You can email me [email protected]

Or call me 786-301-2359

I am in USA on b2 and I also have a valid i20 for masters in Jan 2019.

Comment

Approval change of status from b2 a f1

I finally got my approval letter yesterday! I can commence my status. I came in june 2017 and applied oct 2017, i ensured i was in status by filing bridge of gap (extension of stay) every 6months. I am so glad

Comment

Congratulations! You are one of the few cases that I know of who successfully changed status within the US B2-F1. The Trump administration changed policy this July. Now when people apply for change of status they have to be in valid immigration status both during the time of application AND during the time of approval. So, if the government causes delays, one has to abandon the change of status application and go back home and appear at a US embassy for a visa. I personally think going back and then applying for F1 is the least risky. By entering the US on B2 and going back one has already shown non immigrant intent. So F1 is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny16 View Post
                  I finally got my approval letter yesterday! I can commence my status. I came in june 2017 and applied oct 2017, i ensured i was in status by filing bridge of gap (extension of stay) every 6months. I am so glad
                  When did you apple your second extension for B-2? 30 days or 45 days before your status ends?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X