Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of status H4 to F1

Hi,

I have applied for COS(H4 to F1) on 26th june 2018, my application is pending. My school will start on 27th August, 2018. I have got new I-20 for later date (22 Jan, 2019) as my change of status application is pending with USCIS.

I want to ask that: Do I need to mail new i-20 to uscis? My DSO is not 100% sure. He said they should get it automatically as we issued new i-20 and they can see it online. He also recommended me to sent new i-20 to USCIS.

I called USCIS customer care. they said you should not send it until we ask as RFE.

I am confused now. Do any of you send updated documents to uscis without RFE? Do they accept it?

Waiting for reply.

Thanks,
    Ksm

Comment

cos from h4 to f1

Originally posted by Coyotes View Post
      Even I have applied I539 but now cancelling it due to slow processing times.
      I m studying on H4 and traveling to India for F1. In my i20 the program start & end dates are mentioned as 20 Aug 2018 - 31 August 2020.
      But I am actually half way down my course and will graduate spring 2019. In such scenario, what should be my intended length of stay in Form DS160?
      As i am already studying, I might have to show my transcripts and fees receipts to the VO. Will this information be contradictory as my i20 says otherwise?

Hi did you cancel your cos and get stamping in india.I am in the same situation.Kindly please reply me if you withdraw your cos

Comment

Originally posted by Joev View Post
        I recently changed from H4 to F1 visa and I am sharing this experience so that I will help others who are planning or already in the process.
        Changing Visa status from H4 to F1 could be done either by applying I-539 Change of status form while being in US or Travelling out of US to US consulate and attend F1 visa interview. I tried both the options.

COS to F1 through I-539 :
        This I applied soon after my college started, But due to delay in processing in USCIS I need to withdraw the application and try travelling to US consulate. For students who is planning to apply I-539, two things to be aware of to get fast approval

1. Make sure all your documents are accurate while mailing USCIS. Because I had sent wrong fee amount and my application was rejected first which was sent to California Service Centre. Due to this my application was resent to Vermont Service Centre where the processing times were delayed to more than 9 months.
        2. So applying early at the begining of a semester if you plan for the F1 status in next semester with all documents correct could make the process faster.

F1 Visa Interview :
        After withdrawal of I-539 application, I applied for US consulate for F1 visa. Initially the Visa appointment date I got was not before the start date of my semester. Using the emergency request to get earlier appointment, I got it rescheduled to 20 days prior to college start date. For emergency request, students need to provide valid proof of reason.My reason to expedite visa appointment was college start date is before appointment,so I submitted I-20,Sevis fee, Visa Appointment Copy as proof.The emergency request got approved in 2 days, so got the appointment prior to college start date.

At Visa Interview,
        VO : Can I get the I-20
        ME : Sure
        VO : So why are you changing to F1 while you are in H4 ?
        ME : I want to take practical traning as part of my course
        VO : Why did you apply for YYYY college
        ME : It was near to the place I stay
        VO : Did you apply to other colleges?
        ME : No, I got this first, so kept as my first choice
        VO : What is your CGPA ?
        ME : Answered
        VO : How are you gonna fund the studies
        ME : Answered
        VO : Where is your husband working and how much is his salary?
        ME : YYYY ,YYY
        VO : What are you going to do after graduation ?
        ME : travelling back to my country as my family is here and my husband visa expires
        VO : Ok mam, your visa is approved.

For those who planning to attend F1 visa interview, make sure your 2 main intensions are convincing and genuine.
        1. Why are you changing from H4 to F1
        2. What will you do after graduation.

Being confident and genuine are the key points for visa interview to be successful.
        Good Luck!

Hello,

While applying COS from H4 to F1. Do we need to pay i 901 fee?

And how can apply COS from H4 to F1? Do we need to get in touch with attorney or can i mail docs directly to USCIS after filling i 539?

Regards,
        yknev

Comment

Is there any way to change from h4 to F1 by attending interview in USA without travelling back to home country (India).I learnt COS from H4 to F1 with take around 15 months and I wanted to change status from USA and I don't wanna travel to India and i don't prefer to persue my studies under H4 visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X