H4 to F1 - Complete Visa Process Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to F1 - Complete Visa Process Experience

I recently changed from H4 to F1 visa and I am sharing this experience so that I will help others who are planning or already in the process.
    Changing Visa status from H4 to F1 could be done either by applying I-539 Change of status form while being in US or Travelling out of US to US consulate and attend F1 visa interview. I tried both the options.

COS to F1 through I-539 :
    This I applied soon after my college started, But due to delay in processing in USCIS I need to withdraw the application and try travelling to US consulate. For students who is planning to apply I-539, two things to be aware of to get fast approval

1. Make sure all your documents are accurate while mailing USCIS. Because I had sent wrong fee amount and my application was rejected first which was sent to California Service Centre. Due to this my application was resent to Vermont Service Centre where the processing times were delayed to more than 9 months.
    2. So applying early at the begining of a semester if you plan for the F1 status in next semester with all documents correct could make the process faster.

F1 Visa Interview :
    After withdrawal of I-539 application, I applied for US consulate for F1 visa. Initially the Visa appointment date I got was not before the start date of my semester. Using the emergency request to get earlier appointment, I got it rescheduled to 20 days prior to college start date. For emergency request, students need to provide valid proof of reason.My reason to expedite visa appointment was college start date is before appointment,so I submitted I-20,Sevis fee, Visa Appointment Copy as proof.The emergency request got approved in 2 days, so got the appointment prior to college start date.

At Visa Interview,
    VO : Can I get the I-20
    ME : Sure
    VO : So why are you changing to F1 while you are in H4 ?
    ME : I want to take practical traning as part of my course
    VO : Why did you apply for YYYY college
    ME : It was near to the place I stay
    VO : Did you apply to other colleges?
    ME : No, I got this first, so kept as my first choice
    VO : What is your CGPA ?
    ME : Answered
    VO : How are you gonna fund the studies
    VO : Where is your husband working and how much is his salary?
    ME : YYYY ,YYY
    VO : What are you going to do after graduation ?
    ME : travelling back to my country as my family is here and my husband visa expires
    VO : Ok mam, your visa is approved.

For those who planning to attend F1 visa interview, make sure your 2 main intensions are convincing and genuine.
    1. Why are you changing from H4 to F1
    2. What will you do after graduation.

Being confident and genuine are the key points for visa interview to be successful.
    Good Luck!

Complete Visa Process Experience

It's always a pleasure to read good articles like this one, Thanks for sharing your experience...

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experience. I had a change of status from H1B to F1 visa and plan to travel in 2-3 months for visa stamping.
      This gives me some hope.

Originally posted by Joev View Post
      I recently changed from H4 to F1 visa and I am sharing this experience so that I will help others who are planning or already in the process.
      Changing Visa status from H4 to F1 could be done either by applying I-539 Change of status form while being in US or Travelling out of US to US consulate and attend F1 visa interview. I tried both the options.

This I applied soon after my college started, But due to delay in processing in USCIS I need to withdraw the application and try travelling to US consulate. For students who is planning to apply I-539, two things to be aware of to get fast approval

1. Make sure all your documents are accurate while mailing USCIS. Because I had sent wrong fee amount and my application was rejected first which was sent to California Service Centre. Due to this my application was resent to Vermont Service Centre where the processing times were delayed to more than 9 months.
      2. So applying early at the begining of a semester if you plan for the F1 status in next semester with all documents correct could make the process faster.

F1 Visa Interview :
      After withdrawal of I-539 application, I applied for US consulate for F1 visa. Initially the Visa appointment date I got was not before the start date of my semester. Using the emergency request to get earlier appointment, I got it rescheduled to 20 days prior to college start date. For emergency request, students need to provide valid proof of reason.My reason to expedite visa appointment was college start date is before appointment,so I submitted I-20,Sevis fee, Visa Appointment Copy as proof.The emergency request got approved in 2 days, so got the appointment prior to college start date.

At Visa Interview,
      ME : travelling back to my country as my family is here and my husband visa expires

For those who planning to attend F1 visa interview, make sure your 2 main intensions are convincing and genuine.

Being confident and genuine are the key points for visa interview to be successful.
      Good Luck!

Comment

H4 to F1 Visa - Need an urgent help

I need an urgent help on subject.
        Here is the situation.
        I am an Indian passport holder working on H1-B visa here in USA. My daughter(a Canadian Citizen & currently on H4 visa) will be turning 21 next month (March 2018). She is final year student in a US univeristy. She submitted for change of status in September 2017 and still waiting for her F-1 Visa.
        For us right now only a month remaining.
        I would like to know what needs to be done at this stage? I had a phone conversation with couple of local attornies and they mentioned that in order to stay "in status" we need to file a B2 visa. Will this really help? Will university allow her to continue her enrollment with B2 visa?
        Thanks in advance for any help/guidance

Comment

Hello,

The DS-160 form asks for previous visa information.
          Do you fill the change of status information there or only the visas stamped in your passport?
          I changed my status from F1 to H1B to F1, but only have my first F1 visa stamped.
          I didn't travel for H1B stamping but have the visa approval document.
          And also have the approval for change of status to student visa now.

Like, these questions:

Date Last Visa was Issued:
          Visa Number:
          Are you applying for the same type of visa?
          Are you applying in the same country where the visa above is issued
          and is this country your principal country of residence?

Please help.

Thanks.

F1 Visa Interview :

At Visa Interview,

Good Luck!

Comment

In the same situation. Need Help.

Hello,
            I changed my status from H4 to F1 recently. I am in last semester and planning to graduate in April 2018.
            I need to get my visa stamped before I graduate as once I graduate it will be difficult to get F1 stamped.
            I am planning to travel to India in my spring break around feb end to get F1 stamped.

I had few concerns - Did they return your passport the very same day? If no, how many days did it take?

I have only one week of break thats why I am concerned.
            Please share your experience.

Comment

Complete Visa Process Experience

It's always a pleasure to read good articles like this one, I really like it and thanks for sharing your experience here with us...

Comment

Withdraw I-539?

Thank for your post. I am in a similar situation and want to know how you went about withdrawing your I-539 visa application. Is it necessary to do that before opting for consulate processing?

F1 Visa Interview :

At Visa Interview,

Good Luck!

Comment

H4 visa to F1 visa Transfer Processing Time

Hello All,

I have applied for transfer of visa from H4 to F1 in February. My semester starts in (August)Fall. How long will it take for conversion. Is there anyway to track the transfer process?

Comment

Hi,
                    Congratulations.
                    I am in similar situation. I have filed COS application on 3 august 2017 no reply yet. was thinking of going to INDIA and appear for visa interview. But as soon as you enter in USA will you be able to apply for internships? I heard you can't. I am full time student for 2 semesters.
                    Thanks

F1 Visa Interview :

At Visa Interview,

Good Luck!

Comment

COS withdrawal for H4 to F1 and F1 Stamping

I have applied for COS for H4 to F1 in May. Currently its showing processing time as 11-14 months. I want to withdraw my application and go for VISA stamping in Canada. Could you please help me here in withdrawal of my application and going for F1 stamping. How much time it takes for withdrawal? Can I go for stamping right after sending my withdrawal application? Do I need to wait to get withdrawal confirmation?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
                      Pallavi

F1 Visa Interview :

At Visa Interview,

Good Luck!

Comment

COS withdrawal and F1 stamping

I have applied for COS for H4 to F1 in may. Currently it shows processing time for COS is 11-14 months. I want to withdraw my application and go for stamping to Canada. Could you please help me here in order to withdraw my application and F1 stamping?
                        How much time does it take to withdraw the application? Can I go for stamping right after sending withdrawal application or do I need to wait until I get any confirmation?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
                        Pallavi

Comment

H4-f1 cos

Hi,

I applied for Change of Status from H-4 to F-1 on July, 2017. My classes started in September last year. My H-4 Visa is getting expired on August, 2018.
                          Now, I got an RFE from USCIS to submit evidence to establish that I am maintaining valid non immigrant status (form I-797 approval notice, etc.).
                          My wife applied for her extension only as her organization told her that my case is already pending at USCIS and we cannot apply for 2 Visas at the same time.
                          What documents do I need to submit in this case, please help?

Comment

process

Hi,
                            I am planning to apply for COS. My classes start this sepetember and my current status is valid till september 02,2019. Now I have couple of questions.
                            I was told that I have to apply to Dallas Lockbox facility.
                            My question is, to which service center does the application package routed after sending it to Lockbox?
                            Is there a way to find out that?

Originally posted by Pallavi89 View Post
                            I have applied for COS for H4 to F1 in may. Currently it shows processing time for COS is 11-14 months. I want to withdraw my application and go for stamping to Canada. Could you please help me here in order to withdraw my application and F1 stamping?
                            How much time does it take to withdraw the application? Can I go for stamping right after sending withdrawal application or do I need to wait until I get any confirmation?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
                            Pallavi

Comment

Even I have applied I539 but now cancelling it due to slow processing times.
                              I m studying on H4 and traveling to India for F1. In my i20 the program start & end dates are mentioned as 20 Aug 2018 - 31 August 2020.
                              But I am actually half way down my course and will graduate spring 2019. In such scenario, what should be my intended length of stay in Form DS160?
                              As i am already studying, I might have to show my transcripts and fees receipts to the VO. Will this information be contradictory as my i20 says otherwise?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X