Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy to hear

Originally posted by lpsmp View Post
    Liberty48,,thanks alot for the perfect and correct info u put up reg OCI for all the countryfolks and answering all my queries reg scanning and what to submit ..it helped me a lot and now i am happy this stress is over..got the OCI card ...thanks once again
    Happy to hear it helped!! As a pay back, you should post your experience on what to do and what not to do! That will help others. There is a section for that. Go to Home page and look for "experience"
    Last edited by Liberty48; 07-09-2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

One error in form filling + Questions on Passport uploading on Govt site

Hello, all:

I was very active on this forum, 4 years ago when trying to get a PIO card...and darn it ; we are being forced to convert to OCI. I went through the CKGS site and finished the application on the govt site for OCI in lieu of PIO.

I made an error in filling the forms on govt site...on both mine and my wife's application...kick me in the balls but I did...

> The basic mistake was calling out : Country of birth (India...that was easy) ; then place of birth (per US passport is India ; well, I named the city in both cases where we were born...).

> Apparently the above mistake means rejection (is that true ??)....well, I had one more error on my wife's application : In the Given name I only called out her first name & not the middle name (it was correct on my application...I called out my first name & middle name)

I called CKGS and they told me to apply for refund (i.e ckgs Payment site and ckgs feedback) etc & redo the applications on both CKGS & Govt site...I was going to do it, but thought I'd ask all the questions at once:

Will they reject it based on the above ?? Finally what are the chances they will refund if I apply for a refund?? I HAVE NOT mailed the physical applications.

Anyone go through this?? It's stupid to ask for country of birth and place of birth and they would both be India?????

FINALLY, the question on uploading the passport on the Govt site....should I upload the notarized copies or just self attested copies of 2 pages of the passport & 2 more of the enunciation pages??

Please someone write back...i was VERY HELPFUL to many that were posting on this site for their PIO back in the day.

Thanks in advance for your response.
      Last edited by vinniemak; 08-27-2018, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vinniemak View Post
        Hello, all:

I was very active on this forum, 4 years ago when trying to get a PIO card...and darn it ; we are being forced to convert to OCI. I went through the CKGS site and finished the application on the govt site for OCI in lieu of PIO.

I made an error in filling the forms on govt site...on both mine and my wife's application...kick me in the balls but I did...

> The basic mistake was calling out : Country of birth (India...that was easy) ; then place of birth (per US passport is India ; well, I named the city in both cases where we were born...).

> Apparently the above mistake means rejection (is that true ??)....well, I had one more error on my wife's application : In the Given name I only called out her first name & not the middle name (it was correct on my application...I called out my first name & middle name)

I called CKGS and they told me to apply for refund (i.e ckgs Payment site and ckgs feedback) etc & redo the applications on both CKGS & Govt site...I was going to do it, but thought I'd ask all the questions at once:

Will they reject it based on the above ?? Finally what are the chances they will refund if I apply for a refund?? I HAVE NOT mailed the physical applications.

Anyone go through this?? It's stupid to ask for country of birth and place of birth and they would both be India?????

FINALLY, the question on uploading the passport on the Govt site....should I upload the notarized copies or just self attested copies of 2 pages of the passport & 2 more of the enunciation pages??

Please someone write back...i was VERY HELPFUL to many that were posting on this site for their PIO back in the day.

If you made an error in entering wrong information, you can call start a new application in govt website and call CKGS after you are done with that. They will reconnect the correct entry. Just keep reference numbers. Always, keep all those tracking numbers and what they are in an email or notepad for quick reference.

You are uploading the document as part of the application process, so you are don't have the notarized forms (that is how it should be). Get the notary and send those as original. The check list you get at the end says you have to either send a copy, original and/or notarized copy. Follow those correctly. Read the instructions few times. Follow the instructions. They are not straight forward, but makes sense afterwards!!!

Comment

Apostilled birth certificate?

Originally posted by Liberty48 View Post
          Just to make it easy for new OCI applicants, I have gathered the list of documents you need (based on my experience). Please gather all
          PDF and JPG documents before you start your application on the CKGS website. Use a low quality/setting scanner. This helps to keep the
          file size smaller. Latest high quality scanner make the files size bigger and it will fail when you upload them. You can change the setting to
          330x300 DPI. It takes 4 to 5 hours to get all the forms filled and uploaded to CKGS and passport.gov.in website. After that print all the
          documents and get the notary. You can save all of them in an USB drive and print at FedEX for less than $10 ($0.13 per page +tax).
          I strongly suggest using FedEx service provided by CKGS. It saves time and your day off to go CKGS.

When you fill the application, you will see different numbers, temporary numbers, web number, file number etc. Copy and save all those
          numbers in a separate file for future reference. This will be useful if you have to exit and come back later.

In case you have a doubt, call CKGS and get help. It is worth waiting and getting the answer. If confused, call again and clarify. If anybody
          has additional information, please add them. Again, this is based on my experience. There may some difference in your situation.

For US naturalized adult:

2 passport size photos

Scanned PDF copies of the following:

INDIAN ORIGIN PROOF **> Cancelled Indian Passport. First three and last two pages.
          CURRENT PASSPORT **> US Passport. Include information page with photo, next 2 pages and 4 pages at the end that says "Endorsements".
          MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE **> Marriage Certificate (if married)
          SPOUSE OCI CARD **> If spouse has one, or if applying based on spouse's Indian origin

Scanned signature of applicant in JPG format
          Scanned photo of applicant in JPG format

Printed copies of the following:

Proof of Marital Status **> Marriage Certificate
          Proof of Indian Origin of Applicant **> Cancelled Indian Passport first 4 pages and last 4 pages
          Naturalization Certificate (if Naturalized Citizen) **> US Naturalization Certificate
          Proof of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship **> Renunciation Certificate
          Proof of Address **> Copy of driving license ID card

Include copies of the uploaded PDF documents, even though they are not listed in the document checklist. Order it in the same order listed in the checklist.

For child based on parent's origin:

2 passport size photos

Scanned PDF copies of the following:

RELATIONSHIP CERTIFICATE **> Birth Certificate of child with both parents name.
          MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE **> Parents' marriage certificate to prove they are the same in relationship certificate.
          CURRENT PASSPORT **> US Passport. Include information page with photo, next 2 pages and 4 pages at the end that says "Endorsements".
          INDIAN ORIGIN PROOF **> Both parents' OCI or cancelled Indian passport.
          Scanned signature of parents in JPG format
          Scanned photo of applicant in JPG format

Printed copies of the following:

US Passport **> Include information page with photo, next 2 pages and 4 pages at the end that says "Endorsements".
          Proof of Address of Parents **> Both parents' driving license ID card in one page

Include copies of the uploaded PDF documents, even though they are not listed in the document checklist. Order it in the same order listed in the checklist.

Good luck!
          Thanks for your help in compiling this info! Much appreciated.

The doc checklist from CKGS says 'apostilled' birth certificate. Did you/anyone send just a copy (without apostille) successfully? It is a PITA to get birth certificate apostilled and costs more $$.

Comment

'apostilled' birth certificate

Originally posted by axeaxe View Post
            Thanks for your help in compiling this info! Much appreciated.

The doc checklist from CKGS says 'apostilled' birth certificate. Did you/anyone send just a copy (without apostille) successfully? It is a PITA to get birth certificate apostilled and costs more $$.

HI! Did you end up getting an OCI card without getting the birth cert. apostilled. Did anyone apostile the birth cert. if they were applying for OCI card for a minor born in USA (both parents Indian origin) to NY jurisdiction. ANY HELP IS REALLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

Comment

Hello all,
              While I was about to send in my physical documents for oci, i realized i missed the spouse oci part. Spouse has oci and i did not put that info in. By error i put no while i shd have put yes.Spouse just got the oci card barely 2 weeks ago.Should i redo entire application for that? What are the chances it will show up as an error in their system and cause application to be rejected???please advise.

Comment

I am in the process of applying for OCI card and this will help tremendously.
                Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by vinniemak View Post
                  One error in form filling + Questions on Passport uploading on Govt site

Hello, all:

Hi vinniemak

thank you for sharing this. I am about to print my OCI application when i realized that I had input the state and city for the mandatory (* asterisked fields) for my place of birth. In one instruction, like you point out, the instruction says just write "India" because that's what in the US passport as place of birth. I searched/followed up to see how you resolved this and could not find a post on the same subject.

Would you or anyone else please mind sharing whether the expectation is to restrict place of birth to only country (ie thereby resubmit the whole application and then print etc before shipping?). I am applying at the NY office by ckgs shipping option.

Also the notarization requirement of naturalization certificate is confusing - the Consul Gen of India's SFO site says that requirement has been since done away with, but the CKGS checklist is not clear whether the naturalization notarization is required ONLY for children's application with parents' naturalization OR is notarization of US naturalization required for every one applying for new OCI (Ie first time OCI applicant)?

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I am just starting my daughter OCI application.
                    on website we need to upload the supported document.

do we need to notaries this documents then upload and send same copies ?.
                    or completed the online forms with documents then when we send in mail do the notary?.

please let me know.

this are the support documents

1. Kid USA Passport
                    2. Relationship doc - Kid USA birth certificate
                    3. Indian origin - Parents indian passports together in one pdf
                    4. Pic
                    5. kid thump pic.

please let me know if i need anything ?.

thanks
                    Ravi

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X