New OCI - Document list and some helpful suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New OCI - Document list and some helpful suggestions

Just to make it easy for new OCI applicants, I have gathered the list of documents you need (based on my experience). Please gather all
    PDF and JPG documents before you start your application on the CKGS website. Use a low quality/setting scanner. This helps to keep the
    file size smaller. Latest high quality scanner make the files size bigger and it will fail when you upload them. You can change the setting to
    330x300 DPI. It takes 4 to 5 hours to get all the forms filled and uploaded to CKGS and passport.gov.in website. After that print all the
    documents and get the notary. You can save all of them in an USB drive and print at FedEX for less than $10 ($0.13 per page +tax).
    I strongly suggest using FedEx service provided by CKGS. It saves time and your day off to go CKGS.

When you fill the application, you will see different numbers, temporary numbers, web number, file number etc. Copy and save all those
    numbers in a separate file for future reference. This will be useful if you have to exit and come back later.

In case you have a doubt, call CKGS and get help. It is worth waiting and getting the answer. If confused, call again and clarify. If anybody
    has additional information, please add them. Again, this is based on my experience. There may some difference in your situation.

For US naturalized adult:

2 passport size photos

Scanned PDF copies of the following:

INDIAN ORIGIN PROOF **> Cancelled Indian Passport. First three and last two pages.
    CURRENT PASSPORT **> US Passport. Include information page with photo, next 2 pages and 4 pages at the end that says "Endorsements".
    MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE **> Marriage Certificate (if married)
    SPOUSE OCI CARD **> If spouse has one, or if applying based on spouse's Indian origin

Scanned signature of applicant in JPG format
    Scanned photo of applicant in JPG format

Printed copies of the following:

Proof of Marital Status **> Marriage Certificate
    Proof of Indian Origin of Applicant **> Cancelled Indian Passport first 4 pages and last 4 pages
    Naturalization Certificate (if Naturalized Citizen) **> US Naturalization Certificate
    Proof of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship **> Renunciation Certificate
    Proof of Address **> Copy of driving license ID card

Include copies of the uploaded PDF documents, even though they are not listed in the document checklist. Order it in the same order listed in the checklist.

For child based on parent's origin:

2 passport size photos

RELATIONSHIP CERTIFICATE **> Birth Certificate of child with both parents name.
    MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE **> Parents' marriage certificate to prove they are the same in relationship certificate.
    CURRENT PASSPORT **> US Passport. Include information page with photo, next 2 pages and 4 pages at the end that says "Endorsements".
    INDIAN ORIGIN PROOF **> Both parents' OCI or cancelled Indian passport.
    Scanned signature of parents in JPG format

US Passport **> Include information page with photo, next 2 pages and 4 pages at the end that says "Endorsements".
    Proof of Address of Parents **> Both parents' driving license ID card in one page

Include copies of the uploaded PDF documents, even though they are not listed in the document checklist. Order it in the same order listed in the checklist.

Good luck!

g8 info...thks

one clarification..did u first do the ckgs filling and then the govt site filling.or vice versa...
    also u did not the mention uploading the 'birth certificate' along with drivers licence, usa psport, canceled india psport ,renunciation and naturalization cert...

since i am getting ready to apply really appreciated ur feed back..
    also would like to know what documents are needed to be notorized...pls advice...
    looks like a days work ah....

Comment

Start with CKGS...

Start with CKGS, pay fees in CKGS, then go to govt website, print all the copies, get notarized, send it.

Once you finish the online govt application, you will find what to print and what to notarize. I wish CKGS or govt posted that chart for different types of OCI and possible documents accepted for those. You will find that only after you finish everything on CKGS and govt. That is why I posted this message.

Comment

School going kids sign their own name

I found in another discussion, child OCI got rejected because parents signed below the photo.

So, please check with CKGS and ask the child to write their name for signature upload and on the printed form. I actually did this without knowing, thinking worse case I have to redo the application. I took a risk and it went ok. But now, I see that is the procedure!!

I strongly suggest calling CKGS when you get stuck or have a question.

Comment

Few more things to note

If you didn't save the first temporary number that shows on the screen when you finish the first part of the application, you had to do it all over again. Another confusing part.... the temporary number should be entered at the bottom of the CKGS website to go back and complete application. I was trying the temporary number in the login link on the top right of the screen!! Didn't work! You can only use the login option after you complete the CKGS online application.

After you finish the govt application, you should come back to CKGS and print all the documents to send the application. CKGS account gets linked to the govt application automatically. If you messed up on the govt application, you can start a new gov application. But note the file number from govt application and call CKGS to link it to the CKGS account. I did mess up and called CKGS to link them.

CKGS will forward you a different login after you finish the govt application when you finish govt. application and come back to CKGS. It will all be very confusing. Just note down every number you get for the application and save it along with the name assigned to that number.

I really wonder how non-tech-savvy Indian origin people are dealing with this!

Comment

oci feed back...

Originally posted by Liberty48 View Post
            Start with CKGS, pay fees in CKGS, then go to govt website, print all the copies, get notarized, send it.

Once you finish the online govt application, you will find what to print and what to notarize. I wish CKGS or govt posted that chart for different types of OCI and possible documents accepted for those. You will find that only after you finish everything on CKGS and govt. That is why I posted this message.
            what a nightmare|| gosh i hope i can handle this....i live in hartfor so it is nyc ckgs....by the way some are saying u have to send your usa pasport along with the documents and some are saying send only when they ask for...i am confused...did u send it ? since the indian psport is now cancelled, do i have to send thta too or simply the copies are good to go...thks man...u r guiding all of us who are ready to go thro the nightmare...

Comment

May be - checklist will tell you that

Originally posted by lpsmp View Post
              what a nightmare|| gosh i hope i can handle this....i live in hartfor so it is nyc ckgs....by the way some are saying u have to send your usa pasport along with the documents and some are saying send only when they ask for...i am confused...did u send it ? since the indian psport is now cancelled, do i have to send thta too or simply the copies are good to go...thks man...u r guiding all of us who are ready to go thro the nightmare...
              For Chicago CKGS, you need to send the US passport with the application. Not sure about NYC CKGS. You will find it when you print the checklist. It will say "Original and Copy" for US passport, if you have to send it along with the application. US passport verification used to be send part of OCI earlier in Chicago CKGS, but changed to sending all at once now.

Comment

which documents need color scan? is it ok if passport scan copies are black and white?

i am applying OCI in USA for my new born kid. so what pages of her USA passport needs to be scanned? we(parents) both are indian citizens and working in USA on visa so what pages of indian passport need to be scanned (just front page and back page not enough?).
                How are you doing JPEG format of signature? signing on plain paper and taking picture?
                we will go in person to Houston CKGS so do we need to notarize any doc for in person submission?
                Last edited by vikky789; 03-07-2018, 03:09 PM.

Comment

sign and scan on color.

Originally posted by vikky789 View Post
                  which documents need color scan? is it ok if passport scan copies are black and white?

i am applying OCI in USA for my new born kid. so what pages of her USA passport needs to be scanned? we(parents) both are indian citizens and working in USA on visa so what pages of indian passport need to be scanned (just front page and back page not enough?).
                  How are you doing JPEG format of signature? signing on plain paper and taking picture?
                  we will go in person to Houston CKGS so do we need to notarize any doc for in person submission?
                  I used a color scanner. Not sure if you can use b&w scanner. Please see the instructions in sample oci application form and OCI how to apply document for details on photo and signature scanning. You download them from CKGS.

Yes, sign and scan the signature. The instructions mentioned above provide size information. Follow the instructions. You can't upload the photo and signature files unless it meets the size requirements.

I included first 4 pages and last 4 pages of the passport (2 pages in one sheet, so 4 paper/pages total).

The idea of notary is to prove you have the originals. If you go in person, you don't need notary, but need to show the originals on demand.

Comment

In our case:
                    Newborn kid - USA citizen
                    Parents(we) are Indian citizens on work visa in USA

1) when CKGS/Indian govt. website ask to upload documents, are we supposed to keep all documents scan in single pdf or is it ok if we upload individual document scan copies? other thing is, can we combine both parents docs in single pdf scan doc or should we keep it separate?

2) one more question. my previous indian passport expired(it has previous usa visa stamps in it) and it was cancelled when they issued new renewed passport. i have renewed new passport. should i upload/submit both old(cancelled) and new passport copies for my kid OCI application?

Comment

One PDF and only latest passport

In our case:
                      Newborn kid - USA citizen
                      Parents(we) are Indian citizens on work visa in USA

1) when CKGS/Indian govt. website ask to upload documents, are we supposed to keep all documents scan in single pdf or is it ok if we upload individual document scan copies? other thing is, can we combine both parents docs in single pdf scan doc or should we keep it separate?

2) one more question. my previous indian passport expired(it has previous usa visa stamps in it) and it was cancelled when they issued new renewed passport. i have renewed new passport. should i upload/submit both old(cancelled) and new passport copies for my kid OCI application?
                      #1 - Each category has to be uploaded as one PDF. Both your passports should be in one PDF.

#2 - Your latest passport is enough.

Comment

#1 - Each category has to be uploaded as one PDF. Both your passports should be in one PDF.

#2 - Your latest passport is enough.
                        Thank you, sir/madam. so #1 Each category means, does it say passports of both parents then we need to upload both of our passport scans in single pdf. then does it asks to upload marriage certificate of parents separately? then does it asks USA visa copies of parents separately?
                        i thought all docs together in one pdf scan. but i think it gives each category as you mentioned?

i am going to fedex store to get soft copies of scanned documents so checking.

# Question: what should be maximum size of each PDF file to upload?

Signatures part: thumb impression of newborn girl and our/parent's signatures can be captured with cell phone and upload jpeg right or should we scan in pdf too?
                        Last edited by vikky789; 03-08-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Signature Part for Minor/infant and parents.

Is A4 size paper ok for finger print and signatures capture or should we tear paper to small and take picture of fingerprint and parent?s signature pic to upload?

Comment

Signature Part for Minor/infant and parents.

Is A4 size paper ok for finger print and signatures capture or should we tear paper to small and take picture of fingerprint and parent?s signature pic to upload?
                            I took the thumbprint on a white paper scanned the entire paper in high resolution and then cropped the image to meet the requirement of the website.

Comment

oci application-govt site

Just to make it easy for new OCI applicants, I have gathered the list of documents you need (based on my experience). Please gather all
                              PDF and JPG documents before you start your application on the CKGS website. Use a low quality/setting scanner. This helps to keep the
                              file size smaller. Latest high quality scanner make the files size bigger and it will fail when you upload them. You can change the setting to
                              330x300 DPI. It takes 4 to 5 hours to get all the forms filled and uploaded to CKGS and passport.gov.in website. After that print all the
                              documents and get the notary. You can save all of them in an USB drive and print at FedEX for less than $10 ($0.13 per page +tax).
                              I strongly suggest using FedEx service provided by CKGS. It saves time and your day off to go CKGS.

When you fill the application, you will see different numbers, temporary numbers, web number, file number etc. Copy and save all those
                              numbers in a separate file for future reference. This will be useful if you have to exit and come back later.

In case you have a doubt, call CKGS and get help. It is worth waiting and getting the answer. If confused, call again and clarify. If anybody
                              has additional information, please add them. Again, this is based on my experience. There may some difference in your situation.

For US naturalized adult:

2 passport size photos

INDIAN ORIGIN PROOF **> Cancelled Indian Passport. First three and last two pages.
                              MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE **> Marriage Certificate (if married)
                              SPOUSE OCI CARD **> If spouse has one, or if applying based on spouse's Indian origin

Scanned signature of applicant in JPG format

Proof of Marital Status **> Marriage Certificate
                              Proof of Indian Origin of Applicant **> Cancelled Indian Passport first 4 pages and last 4 pages
                              Naturalization Certificate (if Naturalized Citizen) **> US Naturalization Certificate
                              Proof of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship **> Renunciation Certificate
                              Proof of Address **> Copy of driving license ID card

For child based on parent's origin:

2 passport size photos

RELATIONSHIP CERTIFICATE **> Birth Certificate of child with both parents name.
                              MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE **> Parents' marriage certificate to prove they are the same in relationship certificate.
                              INDIAN ORIGIN PROOF **> Both parents' OCI or cancelled Indian passport.
                              Scanned signature of parents in JPG format

US Passport **> Include information page with photo, next 2 pages and 4 pages at the end that says "Endorsements".
                              Proof of Address of Parents **> Both parents' driving license ID card in one page

Good luck!
                              Hi
                              in the govt site for place of issue of my USA psport, since the place is not mentioned..the site says to write USA "USDOS" I am confused and would lik to know, do i have to only wriete USDOS or USA "USDOS"

2-Peranent add is ofoucrs Usa address...but for Native add...do i have to write my parents addres in india?

thks for ur suggestio and adivse

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X