Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joint Sponsor Question! Please help.

Hello,

I am filing the petition for my husband. He has a joint sponsor, who is a family friend of his family, a citizen living in the U.S.
    So we are both filing the I-864 separately, but there is a question in part 2 in the I-864A that we're not sure how to answer it. It says to select the relationship between the sponsor and the household member and only gives three options:

1a. I am the intending immigrant and also the sponsor's spouse
    1b. I am the intending immigrant and also a member of the sponsor's household
    1c. I am not the intending immigrant. I am the sponsor's household member. I am related to the sponsor as his/her:
    * Spouse
    * Son/Daughter
    * Parent
    * BrotherSister
    * Other dependent, please specify

My question is, what should my husband select? He is not related to our sponsor in any way other than what I stated above. Does he have to answer the question? What should we do?

Thank you for your help!!
    Last edited by leverbic; 02-04-2018, 06:50 PM. Reason: Mix up of documents mentioned

Originally posted by leverbic View Post
    Hello,

I am filing the petition for my husband. He has a joint sponsor, who is a family friend of his family, a citizen living in the U.S.
    So we are both filing the I-864 separately, but there is a question in part 2 that we're not sure how to answer it. It says to select the relationship between the sponsor and the household member and only gives three options:

1a. I am the intending immigrant and also the sponsor's spouse
    1b. I am the intending immigrant and also a member of the sponsor's household
    1c. I am not the intending immigrant. I am the sponsor's household member. I am related to the sponsor as his/her:
    * Spouse
    * Son/Daughter
    * Parent
    * BrotherSister
    * Other dependent, please specify

My question is, what does our joint sponsor select? He is not related to him in any way other than what I stated above. Does he have to answer the question? What should we do?

Thank you for your help!!
    That question is on I-864A, not I-864.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Question Still Unanswered

Yep, it is on I-864A!
      But whether it's on one form or the other, it's important to know what should be selected for this part in our situation if an answer must be chosen. If anyone can answer this, please do.

Comment

Originally posted by leverbic View Post
        Yep, it is on I-864A!
        But whether it's on one form or the other, it's important to know what should be selected for this part in our situation if an answer must be chosen. If anyone can answer this, please do.
        But I-864A is filled out by a household member of the sponsor. There is no "household member" in your situation. The friend is a "joint sponsor", a completely separate sponsor, whose own household income must be sufficient to meet the requirements. A joint sponsor fills out an I-864. Only if this joint sponsor needs to use their household member's income would such a household member fill out an I-864A.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X