Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 A and Driving Uber

Want your opinion and guidance on the next step on the following scenario

Currently, I am on L1. Last week without thinking too much (which is my fault) about the visa type i have registered in uber as a driver. I have not driven/hired my car until Sunday (02/04). However Sunday I have given 3 rides.
    Today i had a doubt and I googled and got to know that what i have done is not legal as I am on L1. I have deactivated my uber account as soon as i got to know this.
    Can anyone help me to understand and guide what are the next steps.
    This is completely due to lack of my understanding.

Originally posted by anuradha1986 View Post
    Want your opinion and guidance on the next step on the following scenario

Currently, I am on L1. Last week without thinking too much (which is my fault) about the visa type i have registered in uber as a driver. I have not driven/hired my car until Sunday (02/04). However Sunday I have given 3 rides.
    Today i had a doubt and I googled and got to know that what i have done is not legal as I am on L1. I have deactivated my uber account as soon as i got to know this.
    Can anyone help me to understand and guide what are the next steps.
    This is completely due to lack of my understanding.
    As L1 visa holder, you are not allowed to have an secondary active income source.

Do not accept any payment for those rides from Uber & you'll be all fine.
    - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
      As L1 visa holder, you are not allowed to have an secondary active income source.

Do not accept any payment for those rides from Uber & you'll be all fine.
      Thanks a lot for the reply. Uber has already deposited money to my Bank account on 2/5.
      What should i do now? Is there a way that i can refund it back.
      Just to let you know the amount deposited is less than 30$.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the reply. Uber has already deposited money to my Bank account on 2/5.
        What should i do now? Is there a way that i can refund it back.
        Just to let you know the amount deposited is less than 30$.
        Talk to Uber CS about reversing the transactions

Comment

Originally posted by inadmissible View Post
          Talk to Uber CS about reversing the transactions
          Thanks for your reply. I have sent couple of mails to Uber as there is no way to call them.
          Waiting for them to reply me back.

Comment

[QUOTE=anuradha1986;555335]Thanks for your reply. I have sent a couple of mails to Uber as there is no way to call them.
            Waiting for them to reply me back.[/QUO

Uber Replied saying that they cannot reverse/cancel the payments. I have explained the situation completely. However, they dont seems to be getting it or they dont know a way to do it. Any suggestions please.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I have sent a couple of mails to Uber as there is no way to call them.
              Waiting for them to reply me back.[/QUO

Uber Replied saying that they cannot reverse/cancel the payments. I have explained the situation completely. However, they dont seems to be getting it or they dont know a way to do it. Any suggestions please.
              Call them again, tell them that this transaction is invalid, you are not eligible to get this money & Uber (as a company) will be in trouble if this is not reversed.

At last, call your bank & try to dispute that transaction.
              - I am not an Attorney, hence not giving any legal advice. Just sharing MY opinion with an intent to help others.

If my opinion helping you, then please do click "like" button below.

Comment

Originally posted by Libra_14 View Post
                Call them again, tell them that this transaction is invalid, you are not eligible to get this money & Uber (as a company) will be in trouble if this is not reversed.

At last, call your bank & try to dispute that transaction.
                Thanks again for the advice. I went to one of the Uber offices in the US. They have told me that there is no way that they can cancel/reverse once a payment is made. I am going to try my last option asking the bank to reverse the payment.

Comment

From the Uber website

Every Uber partner receives a monthly tax statement. And if you earn $600 or more during the year, you?ll also receive a 1099 tax form by January 31.

So my guess is that if you made less than $600 (which you say you did) they would not report this to the IRS and rely on you reporting it to the IRS yourself.

That being said, your still not allowed to do have any secondary source of income.
                  Last edited by samlynn; 02-19-2018, 10:26 PM.
                  This is my opinion, not legal advice!

AOS (c9) 2 USC 485/130/131/765
                  122017 - PD
                  012518 - Biometrics
                  033118 - EAD/AP Combo card delivered
                  062618 - "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
                  082618 - "we scheduled an interview for your Form I-485"
                  090418 - 2nd we scheduled
                  091018 - first interview canceled
                  092118 - Request to reschedule int
                  102318 - Renewal filed EAD/AP
                  030819 - EAD/AP Card in hand
                  040219 - We canceled your int
                  040519 - Int sched
                  051419 - Interview
                  053119 - approved

Comment

Originally posted by boogiewoogie View Post
                    From the Uber website

Every Uber partner receives a monthly tax statement. And if you earn $600 or more during the year, you?ll also receive a 1099 tax form by January 31.

So my guess is that if you made less than $600 (which you say you did) they would not report this to the IRS and rely on you reporting it to the IRS yourself.

That being said, your still not allowed to do have any secondary source of income.

Thank you very much for the information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X