Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greencard for my mother

Hello.
    so i am thinking of applying for a greencard for my mother. Currently she lives abroad. I have some questions about the matter cause after reading and talking to people this can be confusing.

1- If i am applying for her in the US while she lives aborad, can she visit me in the inbetween time till she gets her greencard? or will her tourist visa then be invalid and can't visit?
    2- once she gets her greencard, can she still live abroad and come visit every 5 months or so? or does she have to live in the US for a minimum of 6 months at a time in order to not lose her status?

thank you

Originally posted by don80 View Post
    Hello.
    so i am thinking of applying for a greencard for my mother. Currently she lives abroad. I have some questions about the matter cause after reading and talking to people this can be confusing.

1- If i am applying for her in the US while she lives aborad, can she visit me in the inbetween time till she gets her greencard? or will her tourist visa then be invalid and can't visit?
    2- once she gets her greencard, can she still live abroad and come visit every 5 months or so? or does she have to live in the US for a minimum of 6 months at a time in order to not lose her status?

thank you
    bump! help!

Comment

Hello.

The visa is still valid, but having a valid visa doesn't mean they will let her in. Being the beneficiary of a parent petition will make it more likely she will be denied entry for immigrant intent.

She must live in the US, not visit the US once in a while. There are no minimums or maximums for how many months she has to be in the US. Whether she has abandoned residence is a subjective determination that looks at all the factors relating to her life in the US and her travels out of the US, not just time out of the US alone.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
        The visa is still valid, but having a valid visa doesn't mean they will let her in. Being the beneficiary of a parent petition will make it more likely she will be denied entry for immigrant intent.

She must live in the US, not visit the US once in a while. There are no minimums or maximums for how many months she has to be in the US. Whether she has abandoned residence is a subjective determination that looks at all the factors relating to her life in the US and her travels out of the US, not just time out of the US alone.

have you had personal expereince with that? there has to be a specific number of days or time that doesnt violate ones residency

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X