Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP Canadian Spousal Application - inland or outland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP Canadian Spousal Application - inland or outland?

Hello,

My boyfriend (Canadian) and I (American) are thinking of getting married and we hope to move to Canada together. Since we?ve known each other he has been on the Canadian Youth Mobility Visa in London, so we don?t qualify for the common law visa because we haven?t co-habitated for a year and the chances of me finding a job when he comes back to Canada in the fall so we can cohabitate appear slim. The conjugal visa also seemed out of our reach because we don?t think the government would think our circumstances were dire enough to prevent our cohabitation in England. So marriage it is.

Long story short, we just want to live together as soon as possible and the spousal route seems like the best way to do it. Now we just need help in determining if we should do inland or outland. I know the process is completed faster with the outland, but will our application be accepted if he is not in Canada when we submit it?

His youth mobility visa expires in January 2019, but he?s coming back to Canada early ?? so is it enough to write a detailed letter saying that he is coming back early and that he has a place of residence in Canada when he does? He?s moving back to his parent?s house for a bit and we could have them write a letter as well.
    If we choose inland, does anyone have experience with the Open Work permit? I?m cool with hanging out for a few months waiting for it to come, but I?ve also read that I may not get my conditional residence card for up to two years which would make it hard for me to come in and out of Canada...that would not be very fun.

So I should I just go to Canada and do the inland, but possibly wait years for my residence card? Or should we get the ball rolling now with the outland and just continue the distance for another year and get all my resident/work documents at once?

Any help and/or insight on spousal visa processing times would be appreciated. Both of us are floundering in the amount of information!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X