Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Status (last year of residency)

Hello everyone,

After three years working in Boston (visa H1B) I left the US at the end of July 2017 and came back to France for good. I understand I am a dual status taxpayer for 2017, i.e. resident until July and nonresident from August to December. The IRS website says I should fill a 1040NR (since I was a nonresident at the end of the year), and attach a 1040 as a statement for my income for the first part of the year.

However, I had only US income for the first part of the year, and only French income for the second part of the year, meaning my 1040NR would be completely empty, which doesn't seem to make sense...

Any advice on this?

Thanks!
    Romain

Originally posted by Romain View Post
    Hello everyone,

After three years working in Boston (visa H1B) I left the US at the end of July 2017 and came back to France for good. I understand I am a dual status taxpayer for 2017, i.e. resident until July and nonresident from August to December. The IRS website says I should fill a 1040NR (since I was a nonresident at the end of the year), and attach a 1040 as a statement for my income for the first part of the year.

However, I had only US income for the first part of the year, and only French income for the second part of the year, meaning my 1040NR would be completely empty, which doesn't seem to make sense...

Any advice on this?

Thanks!
    Romain
    For any Financial or Tax Questions please consult with a Financial or Tax advisor
    This is strictly an opinion and should not be misconstrued as legal advice. The use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

-Krypton9591

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X