Expiring Green Card query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expiring Green Card query

My 10 year Green Card expires on June 19th 2018. I have decided not to renew as my family circumstances have changed. My American wife and I had always anticipated moving to LA to care for her mother, but sadly she passed away after a brief illness. Because of my decision not to renew, I have not been into the US since September 2016.

I have now been called for an unexpected meeting in NYC in May 2018, whilst my card is technically still valid, but having not been to the US in 18 months, I am unsure of my immigration status.

Please advise. Thank you.

Originally posted by gjbic View Post
    My 10 year Green Card expires on June 19th 2018. I have decided not to renew as my family circumstances have changed. My American wife and I had always anticipated moving to LA to care for her mother, but sadly she passed away after a brief illness. Because of my decision not to renew, I have not been into the US since September 2016.

I have now been called for an unexpected meeting in NYC in May 2018, whilst my card is technically still valid, but having not been to the US in 18 months, I am unsure of my immigration status.

Please advise. Thank you.
    You can only loose your GC if either you sign abdicating it or an immigration judge rules so. So, technically you are still a permanent resident. Having said that the CBP officer might deem you have lost your permanent status and pressurize in to signing the document voluntarily giving up your GC. Do not do that. It is for an immigration judge to decide, and this will happen typically quite some time after you have been conditionally let in. There is also a chance that the CBP will not notice your absence and let you in normally.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X