Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my Affidavit of Support sponsor has only been employed for 2 months - long enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my Affidavit of Support sponsor has only been employed for 2 months - long enough?

Hi guys,

I'm a non US citizen married to a US citizen. We're currently in the USA.

My wife and I are filing forms i-130 and i-485 so that I can apply for Permanent Residence. This application requires my wife to submit form i-864 (Affidavit of Support) and prove her ability to financially support me whilst I await work authorization.

Unfortunately, my wife's adjusted gross income in the previous three years was below the minimum (2015 - not employed, 2016 - $24,300, 2017 - $15,600). HOWEVER, she got a great job 2 months ago with a salary of $75,000 (net).

Questions;
    Will we be able to report her "current individual annual income" (Part 6, question 2) as $75,000?
    If so, will a job offer letter (which only specifies her hourly pay rate, not yearly salary) and 2 pay stubs be sufficient proof of income?

Thanks so much to anybody who can give us any advice.

I was in a similar situation, so ended up contacting NVC to find out more. I was told to submit the following 3 things: Tax transcript from previous tax year, employment contract and pay stub from current position and proof of saving(Which I didn't think of.). So if either yourself or your wife have any savings, there is a chance this could be used to prove financial support.

Unfortunately though, even though this helped me and my wife, there are so many variation that could potentially sway something like this. For example, if your wifes position is a temp position, even if there's a chance of it being made permanent there's no guarantee they'll consider this. If it's permanent however, from my understanding they'll accept it.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X