Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i-864, Beneficiary using own money in BRAND NEW foreign account - will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i-864, Beneficiary using own money in BRAND NEW foreign account - will it work?

Hi guys,

I'm an Australian citizen living in the U.S. with my American wife. I'm applying for permanent residency and a work authorization.

My question is in regards to filing our Affidavit of Support (I-864).

My wife's current income is below the required amount (125% the poverty guideline for our 2-person household). So, I will be trying to use my own assets to cover the shortfall. As a spouse, we'll need to prove we have assets worth 3 times the shortfall.

My mother, who lives in Australia, has offered to give me a gift of $20,000. Today I opened a bank account in Australia and she is about to transfer this money into it.

Will a bank statement for this VERY NEW bank account be acceptable proof of my assets?[/B] It may look weird that I have an overseas account with only one very large deposit in it. My mother is able to write a letter explaining that the purpose of this $20,000 wedding gift is to help me start my new life in the USA without having to resort to unauthorized work.

What do you guys think? Will this work? Will I need to transfer this money to a U.S. account?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY ADVICE YOU CAN OFFER US!

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X