What are the chances of entering the U.S for filing a re-entry permit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the chances of entering the U.S for filing a re-entry permit

Hello, i'm a lawful permenant resident. I received my greencard 4 years ago on the base of family ties. I have since been traveling for less than 1 year and then returning to the U.S. I am currently a student in Israel. I thought at the beginning that staying less than a year outside the U.S would be fine but apparently I was wrong. I did that for 3 times and visited for short periods of time. I feel like i've made a HUGE mistake. Last time I arrived at the U.S for 8 days when an immigration officer told me I would have to issue a re-entry permit when I get home. he wrote "i-327 advised" on my passport. I think I misunderstood him because I left the U.S recently without issuing the re-entry permit, realizing later on that I had to be present in the U.S for biometrics and to file the i-131 form. I am very stressed about this. I have a brother who currently lives in NY but I have yet to open any bank accounts, and have not filed tax income reports whatsoever. I DO plan on making the U.S my home after I finish school ( in approximately a year and a half) but now I fear that even when I'll go back to the u.s to file the re-entry permit they won't let me in to do so. What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by michaelhash View Post
    Hello, i'm a lawful permenant resident. I received my greencard 4 years ago on the base of family ties. I have since been traveling for less than 1 year and then returning to the U.S. I am currently a student in Israel. I thought at the beginning that staying less than a year outside the U.S would be fine but apparently I was wrong. I did that for 3 times and visited for short periods of time. I feel like i've made a HUGE mistake. Last time I arrived at the U.S for 8 days when an immigration officer told me I would have to issue a re-entry permit when I get home. he wrote "i-327 advised" on my passport. I think I misunderstood him because I left the U.S recently without issuing the re-entry permit, realizing later on that I had to be present in the U.S for biometrics and to file the i-131 form. I am very stressed about this. I have a brother who currently lives in NY but I have yet to open any bank accounts, and have not filed tax income reports whatsoever. I DO plan on making the U.S my home after I finish school ( in approximately a year and a half) but now I fear that even when I'll go back to the u.s to file the re-entry permit they won't let me in to do so. What can I do?

Thanks in advance.
    I am inferring the officer caught up to the fact that you do not live in the US. If you remain out of the US for just under a year once, that's fine. If that becomes a pattern, then the green card is not being used for its intended purpose. You do have to be present in the US to apply for the re-entry permit. Do not try to circumvent that. One option is to come back as soon as you can and apply for it. Here is a link to info on re-entry permits. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...urces/B5en.pdf There are some timing factors to be considered. "You should file your Form I-131 no fewer than 60 days before you
    intend to travel abroad." While you don't have to be present in the US for your re-entry permit to be approved, you do have to get your biometrics done before you leave and that will take a bit of time.
    Another option is letting it go over 1 year and pursuing the SB-1 visa. But I would exhaust the re-entry permit option first. The SB-1 visa is a returning resident visa. Here is the link to that. https://travel.state.gov/content/tri...-resident.html

All the best.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X