TD visa application for South Korean wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD visa application for South Korean wife

I am Canadian and will get a TN visa soon to work in the US. My future employer is one of the biggest companies in the US and they're preparing a package for me, so that part is fine.

But what I'm worried about is the TD visa application in Korea for my Korean wife. I would prefer if we went to the US together, but since I'm Canadian and don't need a Visa stamp to go to the US, she can't really apply for the visa before I'm in the US and have the I-94, right?

So I thought I could maybe apply for a visa stamp at the embassy at the same time as her TD application since that would be the only way she could get a stamp to come to the US and seek TD admission. I don't really care about the fees since it would be more expensive to buy her flight ticket a few weeks later anyway.

So, I e-mailed the US embassy in South Korea about that matter, but they basically said that it's best to get apply in my country of residence, but that it was still possible to apply in Korea. But I'm flying to the US directly from Korea and I won't go back to Canada between the 2. They warned me about the risk and said that there was no refund blabla. I'm not even sure if they even know what a TN visa is since Canadian almost never go to embassies to get it.

Sorry for the long introduction, but I thought my situation is not that common. What would be the safest/best way to get the TN and TD visas? Getting the TN visa at the border would definitely be the easiest for me, but I'm worried that it will be harder to get a TD visa for her if I don't go to the embassy with her.

How hard is it to get a TD visa stamp at the embassy when the TN visa holder is not accompanying the spouse? I guess it is harder since there's more suspicion and they might ask more questions.

Originally posted by patvigno View Post
    I am Canadian and will get a TN visa soon to work in the US. My future employer is one of the biggest companies in the US and they're preparing a package for me, so that part is fine.

But what I'm worried about is the TD visa application in Korea for my Korean wife. I would prefer if we went to the US together, but since I'm Canadian and don't need a Visa stamp to go to the US, she can't really apply for the visa before I'm in the US and have the I-94, right?

So I thought I could maybe apply for a visa stamp at the embassy at the same time as her TD application since that would be the only way she could get a stamp to come to the US and seek TD admission. I don't really care about the fees since it would be more expensive to buy her flight ticket a few weeks later anyway.

So, I e-mailed the US embassy in South Korea about that matter, but they basically said that it's best to get apply in my country of residence, but that it was still possible to apply in Korea. But I'm flying to the US directly from Korea and I won't go back to Canada between the 2. They warned me about the risk and said that there was no refund blabla. I'm not even sure if they even know what a TN visa is since Canadian almost never go to embassies to get it.

Sorry for the long introduction, but I thought my situation is not that common. What would be the safest/best way to get the TN and TD visas? Getting the TN visa at the border would definitely be the easiest for me, but I'm worried that it will be harder to get a TD visa for her if I don't go to the embassy with her.

How hard is it to get a TD visa stamp at the embassy when the TN visa holder is not accompanying the spouse? I guess it is harder since there's more suspicion and they might ask more questions.
    You can apply at SK US embassy. They know what TN visa is. However, they will process her TD visa as per SK visa processing standard. That's what happened to my wife, she got a 221G letter asking for a lot of documents (as per Philippine visa processing standard). Since their Canadian PR visa is expiring, we decided to just apply their TD visa at the US Toronto Consulate, and it turned out pretty easy.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X