Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Father Dying. Waiting for Oath but Green Card Expired. Urgently need to travel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father Dying. Waiting for Oath but Green Card Expired. Urgently need to travel.

This is a difficult situation.
    I am the only living child in the family and my father, at the age of 80, is dying of lung cancer. He could pass away at anytime this month, probably this week.
    I submitted my N-400 one year ago and passed the interview January 30th, 2018. The online status says: "We placed you in line for your oath ceremony and will send you a notice for Receipt ". I have not received any letter yet for oath.
    My problem is that my Green Card already expired on 9/14/2017. I expect that I will have trouble to reenter US.
    I need to go home to see my father and arrange his funeral.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Originally posted by huasongY View Post
    This is a difficult situation.
    I am the only living child in the family and my father, at the age of 80, is dying of lung cancer. He could pass away at anytime this month, probably this week.
    I submitted my N-400 one year ago and passed the interview January 30th, 2018. The online status says: "We placed you in line for your oath ceremony and will send you a notice for Receipt ". I have not received any letter yet for oath.
    My problem is that my Green Card already expired on 9/14/2017. I expect that I will have trouble to reenter US.
    I need to go home to see my father and arrange his funeral.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Go to an InfoPass appointment to get an I-551 stamp on your passport before you leave. This is equivalent to a green card, and they should give you one since you have a pending N-400.

If you are unable to get an I-551 stamp before you leave due to the urgency, you will probably have to apply for a transportation letter at a US consulate to come back, which is more hassle and quite expensive. (Technically the US government says airlines are allowed to board you with an expired 10-year green card without needing a transportation letter, but most airlines will probably refuse, in which case you would need to get a transportation letter.)

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by newacct View Post
      Go to an InfoPass appointment to get an I-551 stamp on your passport before you leave. This is equivalent to a green card, and they should give you one since you have a pending N-400.

If you are unable to get an I-551 stamp before you leave due to the urgency, you will probably have to apply for a transportation letter at a US consulate to come back, which is more hassle and quite expensive. (Technically the US government says airlines are allowed to board you with an expired 10-year green card without needing a transportation letter, but most airlines will probably refuse, in which case you would need to get a transportation letter.)
      THANKS A Lot. I just made an appointment online and will go there tomorrow.
      But in the appointment request it did not ask the reason for the appointment. Will they just stamp immediately or they will put me in line for another schedule?

Comment

Originally posted by huasongY View Post
        THANKS A Lot. I just made an appointment online and will go there tomorrow.
        But in the appointment request it did not ask the reason for the appointment. Will they just stamp immediately or they will put me in line for another schedule?
        They should stamp it immediately.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

You're lucky you got an appointment so fast. I had been checking for weeks for a slot (Dallas) before I just gave up in frustration. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by mkvtt View Post
            You're lucky you got an appointment so fast. I had been checking for weeks for a slot (Dallas) before I just gave up in frustration. Good luck to you.
            Yes. There was only one slot available, otherwise would wait many many days.
            I got the stamp immediately after arrived there. Thanks all.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X