US Citizen marrying to Indian on B1/B2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Citizen marrying to Indian on B1/B2

Hello i am a usa citizen living in USA. There is a girl from India who I have been in communication for over 6 months and intend to go and see her in India next month. I want to understand what happens in this hypothetical scenario-
    We meet in India for a few times and decide to be together in a long term relationship -marriage.
    She has a B1/B2 visa for an employer she used to work for.
    Can she travel on that B1/B2 visa to USA and can I we get married in USA ?
    Can I apply for her greencard once she is here in USA?
    I did look up some earlier similar topics but I didn't find this particular scenario there. Or I couldn't comprehend some of the responses. Please suggest.
    Thanks

Originally posted by need_b2 View Post
    Hello i am a usa citizen living in USA. There is a girl from India who I have been in communication for over 6 months and intend to go and see her in India next month. I want to understand what happens in this hypothetical scenario-
    We meet in India for a few times and decide to be together in a long term relationship -marriage.
    She has a B1/B2 visa for an employer she used to work for.
    Can she travel on that B1/B2 visa to USA and can I we get married in USA ?
    Can I apply for her greencard once she is here in USA?
    I did look up some earlier similar topics but I didn't find this particular scenario there. Or I couldn't comprehend some of the responses. Please suggest.
    Thanks
    If you want her to come to the US for marriage then it's a K-1 visa.
    If you want her to come to the US for tourism then it's a B1/B2.

Technically, she can come to the US on a visitor visa B1/B2 and get married to you. However, you cannot adjust status (i.e. Get a green card) without facing heavy scrutiny such as a label of visa fraud. Therefore it's too risky and not the correct visa type. She will have to return back home and then you can file for a spousal visa. Make sense?

Your best options are to either (1) get married in India and file for a spousal visa or (2) apply for a fiance visa.
    But, coming to the US with a visitor visa, overstaying and getting married is not the right way to do it.
    --Good luck--
    Good luck. I learned the hard way, I hope you don't have to. Immigration is interesting. Not considered as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X