Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working as plant manager in US under a TN visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working as plant manager in US under a TN visa?

I have a colleague, who works as a scientist at my facility, under a TN visa.

He has been interested in a nearby plant manager role, for which he by all means seems qualified.

Would he be eligible to work at a plant manager under a TN visa?

The facility is in food processing, and the same scientific background - education and work experience - needed for his current role would make him effective in a role at the new company.

The two hitches I see are that (1) the job description for his current role clearly lists the specific type of education he has as being a requirement for the job, while the plant manager role less-specifically requires a BS, MS, or MBA (although other requirements for the role include the specific type of work he is doing now); and (2) if he or I look at the list of NAFTA-approved types of work covered by a TN visa, "plant manager" is not one of them. Other types of managers, some with far more general education requirements, appear, but not that title.

His only immigration lawyer represents our company, so he doesn't want to ask that person.

Based on the above, what tips can be offered to make it easiest for him to take a plant manager role, under a TN visa?

You are not allowed to have people report to you in a TN profession, so if he has people reporting as part of that role it's not really a TN profession.

Based on the description, he might be able to be a Management Consultant, but the employer would have to re-structure the job desciption to fit that role better.

Comment

Hi all. I love flowers very much, I dream of having my own country house and garden.
      Last edited by Robert444; 12-02-2022, 04:11 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X