Driver's License or State ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's License or State ID

Hi, my husband went and had his biometrics done yesterday. I was wondering if we are able to use the stamped biometrics receipt to go get a driver's license or state ID?
    PD - 2/20/18
    Filed I-130, I-765 and I-485 Concurrently
    Family Based - Married to USC

2/20/18 - Paperwork received by USCIS
    3/20/18 - Biometrics completed
    5/9/18 - Received EAD
    5/12/18 - Received Social Security card
    5/21/18 - I-131 (AP) received by USCIS
    9/21/18 - AP approved

Originally posted by MicaAshani View Post
    Hi, my husband went and had his biometrics done yesterday. I was wondering if we are able to use the stamped biometrics receipt to go get a driver's license or state ID?
    I wasn't able to. Its not proof of status. I think the rules about what kind of license you can get (if at all) depends on your state.

Here in Nevada I was able to get what they call a Driver Authorization Card which is, as i gather, the card they give to undocumented people. It is a valid drivers license (I had to do both a written and practical test). But it is not a valid ID.

To get this I provided my passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate to show change of name and two proofs of Nevada address. I also showed my UK drivers license and was told that I would have to turn it in to be voided when I passed my test (have a hole stamped through it), but they did not do this in the end. I did show them my notice of action to show I had applied for AOS.

Have a look on your local DMV Web site. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellymoo View Post
      I wasn't able to. Its not proof of status. I think the rules about what kind of license you can get (if at all) depends on your state.

Here in Nevada I was able to get what they call a Driver Authorization Card which is, as i gather, the card they give to undocumented people. It is a valid drivers license (I had to do both a written and practical test). But it is not a valid ID.

To get this I provided my passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate to show change of name and two proofs of Nevada address. I also showed my UK drivers license and was told that I would have to turn it in to be voided when I passed my test (have a hole stamped through it), but they did not do this in the end. I did show them my notice of action to show I had applied for AOS.

Have a look on your local DMV Web site. Good luck!
      you should never have to give up your license from your own country!
      they usually void your old US DL
      This is my opinion, not legal advice!

AOS (c9) 2 USC 485/130/131/765
      122017 - PD
      012518 - Biometrics
      033118 - EAD/AP Combo card delivered
      062618 - "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
      082618 - "we scheduled an interview for your Form I-485"
      090418 - 2nd we scheduled
      091018 - first interview canceled
      092118 - Request to reschedule int
      102318 - Renewal filed EAD/AP
      030819 - EAD/AP Card in hand
      040219 - We canceled your int
      040519 - Int sched
      051419 - Interview
      053119 - approved

Comment

Originally posted by boogiewoogie View Post
        you should never have to give up your license from your own country!
        they usually void your old US DL
        Thats what I thought. The girl I originally spoke to didn't really seem to know what she was doing. It took my 30 minutes and her going to a supervisor to convince her I could apply for the driver authorization card. Thankfully everyone else had a better idea and I got to keep my original license.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X