Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1: second job after receiving EAD approval

Dear immihelp community,

Could you please tell me if I can have second job in addition to my main L1 job, after my EAD is approved, but before getting the Green Card?

Thanks,
    Greg

Originally posted by my_forum View Post
    Dear immihelp community,

Could you please tell me if I can have second job in addition to my main L1 job, after my EAD is approved, but before getting the Green Card?

Thanks,
    Greg
    Yes, as long as you have changed from L1 to using the EAD.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by my_forum View Post
      Dear immihelp community,

Thanks,
      Greg
      You can use your EAD to get your second job (please do read about the 180-days rule). However, the moment you start using your EAD, you will lose your L-1 status and will have to solely depend on the approval of your AOS petitition, as without it's approval you will be out of status. On the brighter side, you can work for more than employer at a time with your EAD.

Please note that some employers revoke their I-140 petitions when an employee quits the job. If your employers has the same policy and if you change the job, it may impact your AOS petition. So you may want to find out about that as well.

My advise would be to continue using your existing L-1 and wait for a few more months to get GC approved before you move to a new job. That way, you can use your AOS EAD if there are any problems with the L-1. If circumstances are such where you must change the job and you are ready to give up your L-1 status, then by all means you can do it.

This is based on my limited understanding, please consult an attorney or an expert for the right advise.
      Last edited by vicks; 03-25-2018, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scientist2016 View Post
        Yes, as long as you have changed from L1 to using the EAD.
        How do you change from L1 to using EAD?
        is this done by going to social security and updating your social security card?
        My current card (i'm here on L-1B) for instance has a DHS limitation on it.

/Edit
        just checked you can get a new social security card with an updated immigration status.
        In my case though going from L1 to EAD would still mean the card would say VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION until i get an actual greencard so does it even matter?

Perhaps the only effect one would see is when an employer uses e-verify to see if you are eligible to work?
        Last edited by boogiewoogie; 03-26-2018, 04:38 PM.
        This is my opinion, not legal advice!

AOS (c9) 2 USC 485/130/131/765
        122017 - PD
        012518 - Biometrics
        033118 - EAD/AP Combo card delivered
        062618 - "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview"
        082618 - "we scheduled an interview for your Form I-485"
        090418 - 2nd we scheduled
        091018 - first interview canceled
        092118 - Request to reschedule int
        102318 - Renewal filed EAD/AP
        030819 - EAD/AP Card in hand