Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange advice from attorney

Initial green card application October 2016

I-140 (E13) for EB-1 multinational executive following RFE in Dec 2017 approved Jan 2018
    I-765 and I-131 approved February 2018
    I-485 RFE in March 2018 for I-693 medical (as old one was over a year ago)

My attorney is saying I should delay sending in I-693 ? why would he say that?

Clearly I?ll have to pay to find out so I was wondering if someone might have some insight.

Thanks in advance.

i-693 is valid for one year after submission. So if your case takes longer than a year then you have to redo and paying twice. The USCIS itself recommends the same thing. Its in the instructions of that form.

Comment

Originally posted by Timber View Post

I-140 (E13) for EB-1 multinational executive following RFE in Dec 2017 approved Jan 2018

Clearly I?ll have to pay to find out so I was wondering if someone might have some insight.

Thanks in advance.
      I just filed and left off my I-693. I was told wait until you receive the interview date, then do it, just in case it takes longer than 12 months and your medial expires. They're not cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by Timber View Post

Thanks in advance.
        Here is a link to the USCIS policy manual. Scroll down to C. 4.
        A. Results of the Medical ExaminationThe physician must annotate the results of the examination on the following forms:Panel Physicians

It's valid for one year from the date the examination is completed. If your application requires an interview, then that is probably the reason your attorney advised you to wait.
        You mentioned you would clearly have to pay to find out. Truth is you can create a USCIS account online and keep tabs on the entire process. Your case number should be on your notice of action I-797. If you do not have that, then you can call USCIS and get your case number. No one should be kept in the dark in this process. Maybe you need another lawyer? I just know that wouldn't work for me.

All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post
          A. Results of the Medical ExaminationThe physician must annotate the results of the examination on the following forms:Panel Physicians

It's valid for one year from the date the examination is completed. If your application requires an interview, then that is probably the reason your attorney advised you to wait.
          You mentioned you would clearly have to pay to find out. Truth is you can create a USCIS account online and keep tabs on the entire process. Your case number should be on your notice of action I-797. If you do not have that, then you can call USCIS and get your case number. No one should be kept in the dark in this process. Maybe you need another lawyer? I just know that wouldn't work for me.

All the best.
          This is not accurate. The i-693 is valid for one year after submission and must be submitted within one year of the examination. So you can stretch its validity to almost 2 years if done right. The problem is most guides, lawyers and/or instructions do not clearly explain this causing a lot of confusion.

I believe the OP meant he would have to pay lawyer to find out why he should delay sending his medical.
          Last edited by azblk; 03-22-2018, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by azblk View Post
            This is not accurate. The i-693 is valid for one year after submission and must be submitted within one year of the examination. So you can stretch its validity to almost 2 years if do it right. The problem is most guides, lawyers and/or instructions do not clearly explain this causing a lot of confusion.

I believe the OP meant he would have to pay lawyer to find out why he should sending his medical.
            Thank you for clarifying that. I went back and read citation 22 & 24. Must be submitted within a year of examination and will be considered valid if case is adjudicated no more than one year after the case was submitted to USCIS - they will use the date USCIS received the I-693 to determine whether submission and adjudication happened within one year. Like you said, this could be stretched to two years if timed properly.

Comment

Originally posted by UScitizenFilingforspouse View Post

All the best.
              Thanks - I was told it's unlikely I'll need an interview (the I-140 was filed on the back of an L1A and before March 2017). I'm assuming that the updated medical is the final step before green card - or are they likely to still ask for further RFEs?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X