Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal name change in US after foreign marriage with my k-1 visa applicant fiance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal name change in US after foreign marriage with my k-1 visa applicant fiance

We have filed a K-1 visa and are waiting to hear back. In the meantime, we are getting legally and religiously married in Guatemala. When I come home, I want to change my last name. Will the social security office accept my foreign marriage certificate (in english) and allow for the name change if my fiance is not a legal US citizen? Would this ruin our chances at a visa? Lastly, should I just change my name without the marriage certificate??

Originally posted by abigailkhammond View Post
    We have filed a K-1 visa and are waiting to hear back. In the meantime, we are getting legally and religiously married in Guatemala. When I come home, I want to change my last name. Will the social security office accept my foreign marriage certificate (in english) and allow for the name change if my fiance is not a legal US citizen?
    If you legally change your name as part of the marriage, the marriage certificate should indicate this, and it serves as a proof that your name has legally changed. With that, you should be able to update any of your documents to your new legal name. Your spouse's status is irrelevant.

Originally posted by abigailkhammond View Post
    Would this ruin our chances at a visa? Lastly, should I just change my name without the marriage certificate??
    After your fiance gets married, they are not a fiance anymore, and would no longer qualify for K-1. You would have to file I-130 to petition them as a spouse.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X