OPT Eligibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT Eligibility

Is having an F1 student VISA a requirement for OPT?

I am on a dependent VISA (L2) and will soon be completing an MS degree from a STEM school. Will I be aligible for an OPT?

Thanks!

Originally posted by OG81 View Post

I am on a dependent VISA (L2) and will soon be completing an MS degree from a STEM school. Will I be aligible for an OPT?

Thanks!
    OPT is part of the F1 program. You can't do OPT on any other status. You would have to change status to study on F1 status to be able to do OPT after graduating, but I think it may be too late for you.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by OG81 View Post

Thanks!
      Nope. However, you might want to think why would you need OPT? People typically switch to OPT to buy themselves time for H1, etc. Since you are already in L2, you can get an EAD (which in some respects is more flexible than the OPT EAD, in the sense that you can work in any area, not just the one related to your area of study, and you can remain unemployed for however long you choose. The only downside of L2 EAD would be that it is tied to the L1 status holders employment viz., if that person changes or looses the current job, then your L2 and EAD become void.). So you might not even want to go through the OPT route in the first place.
      Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X