Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSN Date of Birth Change

Hi,

I am on H1B and there was a mismatch in my passport and Birth Certificate. I have corrected my passport with new DOB. Now I would like to change my H1B visa and SSN with correct DOB. Below are my queries

1. What document required to amend my visa?
    2. What is the procedure to correct my DOB in SSN? Which one we have to do first, SSN or H1B visa?
    3. What documents required to correct SSN?

Could some one please help .

Originally posted by prash.pcg View Post
    Hi,

I am on H1B and there was a mismatch in my passport and Birth Certificate. I have corrected my passport with new DOB. Now I would like to change my H1B visa and SSN with correct DOB. Below are my queries

1. What document required to amend my visa?
    2. What is the procedure to correct my DOB in SSN? Which one we have to do first, SSN or H1B visa?
    3. What documents required to correct SSN?

Could some one please help .
    Hi,

Were you able to figure out? I'm also in the same situation. I corrected my passport with DOB from birth certificate.
    I could not correct DOB in ssn. It failed to apply new DOB since it does not match I94 records. I94 can be corrected only if I enter the country with the new passport. But I'm afraid if the visa is valid since it still has the old DOB.

Please share your experience if you were able to make corrections.

Comment

Hi
      Can you please describe how you made the DOB correction in the PP in Indian consulate? Do they need court order?

Comment

Originally posted by rock79 View Post
        Hi
        Can you please describe how you made the DOB correction in the PP in Indian consulate? Do they need court order?
        For passport correction, I personally visited SFO Indian consulate with the original and copies of passport and birth certificate. You need to fill a form and also send an email(they will give you the email id) to the vice-chancellor explaining the issue.
        Consulate reviews the documents and if they accept correction, they'll give you an acceptance letter. You need to submit this letter along with the ckgs passport application.
        Court order is not required. Only birth certificate is needed.

Comment

Thanks. Another quick question on this. I (we) have the original birth certificate but it does not have the name as it is customary not to name the baby at birth. Thoughts if the consulate would accept it? or will they insist on anything else..the original BC has proper parents names, place of birth etc. Would appreciate any insights. Thank you.

Originally posted by rcg View Post
          For passport correction, I personally visited SFO Indian consulate with the original and copies of passport and birth certificate. You need to fill a form and also send an email(they will give you the email id) to the vice-chancellor explaining the issue.
          Consulate reviews the documents and if they accept correction, they'll give you an acceptance letter. You need to submit this letter along with the ckgs passport application.

Comment

Hi,

Were you able to figure out? I'm also in the same situation. I corrected my passport with DOB from birth certificate.
            I could not correct DOB in ssn. It failed to apply new DOB since it does not match I94 records. I94 can be corrected only if I enter the country with the new passport. But I'm afraid if the visa is valid since it still has the old DOB.

Please share your experience if you were able to make corrections.

Hello, were you able to update your dob in SSN? I am also on the same boat. Got my passport updated with right dob matching my birth certificate. But SSN update is not happening due to I94 dob mismatch. How did you resolve your case? How long it took to resolve?

Comment

Originally posted by gchunteree View Post

Hello, were you able to update your dob in SSN? I am also on the same boat. Got my passport updated with right dob matching my birth certificate. But SSN update is not happening due to I94 dob mismatch. How did you resolve your case? How long it took to resolve?
              Hi , are you able to update DOB in SSN, if yes please let know the process you followed.

Comment

Can you please tell me how long the whole process is going to take? I need to file 485 next month and i am wondering whether i need to file 485 first, wait for RFE and then correct the passport or correct the passport first and then apply 485. Also, i heard that if the passport is more than 5 years old, then embassy will not make any correction on the passport. Any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Prakore View Post

Hi , are you able to update DOB in SSN, if yes please let know the process you followed.
                  Any luck? I went to SSA office, they asked me to update the Immigration document. Now not sure what to do.. its hard as DL is expired and living in US without DL is hell,,.. anyone in this thread have found the way, please share..

my background is similar, All my documents except Birth Certificate was wrong. Now i got Passport corrected and the pain just started.. I am in H1B and I have the approval for next 2.5 years..

Comment

I just want to give an update if that helps someone as i resolved this.

I have a wring DOB in all document other than my Birth Certificate.

Step 1 : Got the original birth certificate.
                    Step 2 : Applied for Passport document change.
                    They kept it for 5-6 months, i applied outside india, so have to go to consulate to check the status. (Start of miserable days)
                    They send an email asking for reason why it wasnt corrected before. you have to send a detailed explanation as a response to their email.
                    Passport Approved and received in 2 weeks
                    Step 3 : Asked my immigration team to submit a amendment to my H1B with DOB change.
                    Amendment went to RFE
                    Created an Affidavit and responded with the affidavit detailing the background
                    Amendment Approved
                    Step 4 : Went to SSA office and showed the Approved petition they accepted it
                    Step 5 : Went to India and submitted for stamping in drop box (Big Mistake, should plan for interview directly)
                    Rejected with White Slip.
                    Scheduled interview ( I dont even want to think about those days)
                    Visa Approved.
                    Step 6 : Updated all documents in india (PAN, ADHAR,DL etc)
                    Stpe 7 : In US updated all documents - Employment, Insurance, DL etc...

A lot of pain and a lot of questions in most of the offices. as the procedure went on I have more stronger case as I have more document evidence to support my case.

Comment

DOBPain I am in 100 % exact situation as yours. I corrected my DOB in my passport as to match with my Birth Certificate. After that I updated SSN , DL and all Indian ID cards. I didn't have an option other than dropbox and dropped off my documents for Visa stamping . I got 221(g) whit slip asking to attend an interview. They only asked me to bring my Original Birth Certificate. Could you please share your interview experience. What all documents they asked during interview. What questions. Was it fairly straightforward ? and yes Which consulate ?

Comment

Originally posted by DOBPain View Post
                        I just want to give an update if that helps someone as i resolved this.

I have a wring DOB in all document other than my Birth Certificate.

Step 1 : Got the original birth certificate.
                        Step 2 : Applied for Passport document change.
                        They kept it for 5-6 months, i applied outside india, so have to go to consulate to check the status. (Start of miserable days)
                        They send an email asking for reason why it wasnt corrected before. you have to send a detailed explanation as a response to their email.
                        Passport Approved and received in 2 weeks
                        Step 3 : Asked my immigration team to submit a amendment to my H1B with DOB change.
                        Amendment went to RFE
                        Created an Affidavit and responded with the affidavit detailing the background
                        Amendment Approved
                        Step 4 : Went to SSA office and showed the Approved petition they accepted it
                        Step 5 : Went to India and submitted for stamping in drop box (Big Mistake, should plan for interview directly)
                        Rejected with White Slip.
                        Scheduled interview ( I dont even want to think about those days)
                        Visa Approved.
                        Step 6 : Updated all documents in india (PAN, ADHAR,DL etc)
                        Stpe 7 : In US updated all documents - Employment, Insurance, DL etc...

A lot of pain and a lot of questions in most of the offices. as the procedure went on I have more stronger case as I have more document evidence to support my case.
                        DOBPain Any update on my above questions are highly appreciated.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X