Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can one get US citizenship if convicted in illegal sale of drugs in another country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can one get US citizenship if convicted in illegal sale of drugs in another country?

A woman (a citizen of Russia) was convicted of illegal sale of narcotic drugs in the country and sentenced to 9 years of imprisonment. That substance is banned in the United States too. However, she was granted deferral of punishment as having a child at an age under fourteen.

Please let me know if this woman can become a US citizen after she marries a US citizen.

Thank you.

Originally posted by DVS75 View Post
    A woman (a citizen of Russia) was convicted of illegal sale of narcotic drugs in the country and sentenced to 9 years of imprisonment. That substance is banned in the United States too. However, she was granted deferral of punishment as having a child at an age under fourteen.

Please let me know if this woman can become a US citizen after she marries a US citizen.

Thank you.
    Before you read my comment below, please be aware I am not an attorney but recommend you speak with an experienced one about this.

Is this person currently in the USA? If not, chances are any visa they try to obtain is likely going to be refused. I know that if you a LPR (legal permanent resident) and you commit these crimes, they can take away your card and deport you. If they are in the USA, it's possible when your crimes show up on their security checks, you'd be refused and have deportation proceedings started.

You would be able to apply for a waiver for these crimes for immigration purposes, but the government is extremely strict on this and it is rarely granted.

Someone else may be able to offer some personal experience with regard to immigration viability after certain crimes, but my general thought is that it would be extremely hard to get LPR or USC status.
    Marriage AOS - 2018

4-10: Sent to Chicago Lockbox
    4-12: Arrived in Chicago
    4-14: Picked up by USCIS
    4-19: Email & text notifications received
    4-23: I-797 Receipts received
    4-27: Biometrics notice received
    5-10: Courtesy letter for I-693
    5-11: Biometrics completed
    6-04: Interview scheduled
    6-09: Received interview letter
    7-10: Interview complete & approved, status change to New Card being Produced
    7-13: Card was Mailed
    7-18: Green Card in Hand

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X