Interview coming up - any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview coming up - any tips?

I have my employment based greencard interview in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Anything I should or shouldn't bring? Any tips on the questions they may ask?

I have my birth certificate, all USCIS correspondence and a copy of my EB1 application.

Thank you so much.

Originally posted by Cordelia_EB1 View Post
    I have my employment based greencard interview in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any tips? Anything I should or shouldn't bring? Any tips on the questions they may ask?

I have my birth certificate, all USCIS correspondence and a copy of my EB1 application.

Thank you so much.
    Hi,
    Do you mind sharing your timeline (when and where you applied)? What I heard from people is, bring all the documents including marriage certificate if you are married, tax documents, birth certificate, bank statements (if there is a joint account for couples), all USCIS communications, recent employment letter, passports, visas, previous visa documents. I guess the interview is going to be a one on one discussion (a friendly chat). Hope that helps. Good luck!!!. Would like to hear your experience.

Comment

Timeline

Originally posted by uni View Post
      Hi,
      Do you mind sharing your timeline (when and where you applied)? What I heard from people is, bring all the documents including marriage certificate if you are married, tax documents, birth certificate, bank statements (if there is a joint account for couples), all USCIS communications, recent employment letter, passports, visas, previous visa documents. I guess the interview is going to be a one on one discussion (a friendly chat). Hope that helps. Good luck!!!. Would like to hear your experience.
      Sure, here is my timeline:
      Employment-based AOS
      June 14, 2017 - USCIS approved EB1 application
      July 24, 2017 - USCIS received AOS application
      August 29, 2017 - Biometrics appointment
      October 8, 2017 - Received EAD (and AP)
      December 20, 2017 - Received notice that case is transferred to Lee's Summit, MO
      April 14, 2018 - Received interview date for mid-May 2018

Field office: San Fernando Valley, NSC

Comment

Sure, here is my timeline:
        Employment-based AOS
        June 14, 2017 - USCIS approved EB1 application
        July 24, 2017 - USCIS received AOS application
        August 29, 2017 - Biometrics appointment
        October 8, 2017 - Received EAD (and AP)
        December 20, 2017 - Received notice that case is transferred to Lee's Summit, MO
        April 14, 2018 - Received interview date for mid-May 2018

Field office: San Fernando Valley, NSC
        Thank you, I pulled last year visa bulletin and the retrogression had been started from June 2017. I was told that during retrogression AOS applications are not accepted by USCIS. Anyway, that's not important now. I wish you all the very best. Let me know your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by uni View Post
          Thank you, I pulled last year visa bulletin and the retrogression had been started from June 2017. I was told that during retrogression AOS applications are not accepted by USCIS. Anyway, that's not important now. I wish you all the very best. Let me know your experience.
          I was not aware. Although I had heard that it did not apply to EB1 though? Am definitely not an expert though so I could be wrong.

Comment

I was not aware. Although I had heard that it did not apply to EB1 though? Am definitely not an expert though so I could be wrong.
            Yeah, its confusing and sometimes hard to believe even the lawyers.

Comment

Retrogression is country specific. So if the original poster was not from India or China, then they were not affected by the retrogression.
              Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by scientist2016 View Post
                Retrogression is country specific. So if the original poster was not from India or China, then they were not affected by the retrogression.
                That's correct, its country specific I didn't pay attention to that.

Comment

Had my interview and was approved!

I had my interview yesterday and was approved at the end of the interview! I was EB1.

Mine was quite long, around an hour, but this was mainly due to me previously having a government visa, so there was extra paperwork they needed to complete for that. There was a lot of typing and completing forms on the immigration officers end, it wasn't all talking the entire time. The immigration officer was SO nice and there was also a second officer there who was observing as he was being trained to conduct interviews. I was so pleased he was nice, I was very nervous and that definitely put me at ease. I was asked a lot about my achievements and I went into a lot of detail which I think they liked. I was also asked a lot of times my full name, birth date and the last time I entered the country and what visa that was on. I had made copies of everything (passports, EAD, latest i-94, drivers license, etc.) which they also appreciated. They also asked questions off the new i-485 (I applied before this form was created) which were all straightforward. At the end of the interview they gave me a letter which said I was approved and said I should receive my Greencard in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know when I have received it.

Thank you all for your tips and all the best with your AOS'!

Comment

congratulations

I had my interview yesterday and was approved at the end of the interview! I was EB1.

Mine was quite long, around an hour, but this was mainly due to me previously having a government visa, so there was extra paperwork they needed to complete for that. There was a lot of typing and completing forms on the immigration officers end, it wasn't all talking the entire time. The immigration officer was SO nice and there was also a second officer there who was observing as he was being trained to conduct interviews. I was so pleased he was nice, I was very nervous and that definitely put me at ease. I was asked a lot about my achievements and I went into a lot of detail which I think they liked. I was also asked a lot of times my full name, birth date and the last time I entered the country and what visa that was on. I had made copies of everything (passports, EAD, latest i-94, drivers license, etc.) which they also appreciated. They also asked questions off the new i-485 (I applied before this form was created) which were all straightforward. At the end of the interview they gave me a letter which said I was approved and said I should receive my Greencard in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know when I have received it.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by ceo_broker View Post
                      congratulations
                      Thanks! And thank you again for your help, it was very useful in my prep. I hope my green card arrives as quickly as yours did!

Comment

Interview DATE Help!

Thanks! And thank you again for your help, it was very useful in my prep. I hope my green card arrives as quickly as yours did!
                        Dear Cordelia,
                        congrats!
                        Two days ago, May 16th, I have received the notice BY EMAIL that my interview as been scheduled and that the date will be mailed to me. I am wodnering when will I receive the information with the DATE because I have planned a trip back to my country finally on 14th of JUNE.
                        In your experience how long didi it take from the notice "we have scheduled your interview" to receiving the notice with the date?
                        Many thanks

Comment

Based on your interview, were necessary to get I-140 petition + other documents or I-140 approval notice was enough?

Thanks.

Comment

That's a great news!!! Congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing your experience. Did you mean having a government visa, J1?

Comment

Originally posted by alejourney View Post
                              Dear Cordelia,
                              congrats!
                              Two days ago, May 16th, I have received the notice BY EMAIL that my interview as been scheduled and that the date will be mailed to me. I am wodnering when will I receive the information with the DATE because I have planned a trip back to my country finally on 14th of JUNE.
                              In your experience how long didi it take from the notice "we have scheduled your interview" to receiving the notice with the date?
                              Many thanks
                              Dear Alejourney,
                              Do you mind sharing your timeline? I filed my AOS (EB1A, Indian nationality, Texas service center) on March 26th 2018 and a week ago I received my EAD and AP approval notice. Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X