Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for J2 visa

Dear all,

my fiance is going to Boston in September with J1 visa. We are planning a wedding for March 2019. I have B1/B2 visitor visa, so I am planning to go with him in September on visitor visa for 5 months. After that to come back home, get married, and then to apply for J2 visa. How long process for J2 can take? Can they reject me? Can it be a problem that I spent 5 months, and want to go again for longer (one can visit USA for 6 months, and then can't come back for next 6 months with visitor visa)?

Thank you

Originally posted by ivanica007 View Post
    Dear all,

my fiance is going to Boston in September with J1 visa. We are planning a wedding for March 2019. I have B1/B2 visitor visa, so I am planning to go with him in September on visitor visa for 5 months. After that to come back home, get married, and then to apply for J2 visa. How long process for J2 can take? Can they reject me? Can it be a problem that I spent 5 months, and want to go again for longer (one can visit USA for 6 months, and then can't come back for next 6 months with visitor visa)?

Thank you
    It's not really common that you get rejected for a work-permit with a J2, not sure under which circumstances that could happen.

I went through the same process two years ago. You need to get all the paperwork ready and from the day you send it, it will take around 3 months to get everything ready to be able to start working. During the time I was waiting I was doing interviews so you can get some time doing that.

The process usually is:
    - You send all the documentation
    - You should receive a notification (via post address) that your case is being reviewed (this takes around 2-3 weeks from the day you send the mail)
    - Notification that your card is being produced
    - Notification that your cased was approved
    - Notification that your card was sent (when you get that, go to USCIS website and make an appointment on your local USCIS office b/c there is a waiting list of 10 days usually)
    - When you receive the card you'll be able to go to the USCIS office and apply for the Social Security number
    - When you receive the SSN you'll be good to go

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X